if you offered candy as a potty reward, then stopped, did LO regress or refuse to go because they didnt get that candy after a while?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 3:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• When my daughter was 2 and I tried potty training I gave her gummies. Then switched to stickers and she didnt have any issues on the change,
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:46 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• My son didn't. Actually every time I gave him his reward (M&Ms for peeing, lollipop for pooping) he would throw it in the trash.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 3:47 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• good idea!
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 3:47 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• No. They forgot about the candy after the first day or 2.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:49 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• We just used Smarties, it was a small enough treat that it wasn't a huge deal to give one to him and it wasn't special enough to really be asked for! Something simple! No regression or anything!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 3:49 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• agree with mamaroberts, she only got at most 3 m&m's each time she went so it was really no big deal when i stopped.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:52 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• The key problem with carrot&stick methods is not that it was discredited in the 50s... which it was... but why it was discredited: it doesn't work.

Or rather, if the subject of the training has a brain punishment/reward training doesn't work the way anyone thinks it should.

A hilarious piece of research which set out to prove, again, that rewards work, really, inadvertently proved so much more: researchers logged what preschoolers did when they were free to choose, for a week. The following week, they routinely rewarded those same kids for doing what they had previously chosen. Three weeks later, not only could they not get the kids to do what they had done previously, they couldn't get them to take the rewards they had used, either.

Months later, they did a follow-up and the kids STILL wouldn't do what they had previously chosen OR take the rewards that were offered, not even freely.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Absolutly not! We just changed up the reward system --
    example -- AFter 3 days of going to the potty, she got to pick out a reward from wal-mart.
    (That's better than candy anyway)

Besides, I taught her that "too-much" candy will turn your teeth black, so she rarely wants it anyway! She even turns it down at times!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 4:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Treats of that nature should never be offered as a reward.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I never used candy as a reward they learn alot by example watching mom or dad or other children, being rewarded by wearing big boy or girl panties. I ran a daycare and I never had to bribe with candy
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 8:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2011