baby will eat baby food but 100% refuses any juice !

he'll be 5 mos old soon and I'm not sure if it's ok he loves to eat lol but refuses to drink juice he's ebf recently he has started refusing bottles of bm also so I'm not really sure if it's the bottle or the juice he has always done good with his bottle it's a breastflow bottle should I try one of the soft end sippy cups or a different bottle is it ok that he's not drinking any juice ?
any input would be greatly appreciated

msh88

Asked by msh88 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Then don't give him juice. Babies don't need juice. The majority of their nutrition should still come from breastmilk or formula at that age.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:54 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• i agree with craftingmama, he doesnt need juice
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 3:55 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• My son didn't start drinking juice until he was like almost 2. He refuse to drink it also.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 3:56 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• It is 100% ok that he's not drinking juice! Your baby can get the same things from juice as from eating real fruit. Juice is bad for babies teeth (3 of my cousins had severe tooth rot, when brought to the dentist, he told their foster parents no juice and no candy.) and if you do give him juice, please make sure it's pasteurized, but at 5mos, he doesn't really need juice anyway. He should be breastfed or formula fed, and maybe starting solids. Our doc told us not to start our DS on solids until after 6mos.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 3:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• its fine, he doesn't need juice. all he needs really is breastmilk or formula til he's 12 months old. the other stuff is just practice.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• lol thanks I was making sure cause pedi had said to give him 2oz of juice w/ 2 oz of water each day and I couldn't figure out how she expected me to do that lol
    msh88

Comment by msh88 (original poster) at 3:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Sadly peds often give poor dietary advice... this is an example. Baby needs breastmilk or formula for liquid, nothing more.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• He doesn't need juice anyway. It's mostly sugar. I would NEVER advise juice that young! I don't even advise solids until at least 6 mos either though. When people ask what my advice is, I tell them solids should be introduced no sooner then 6 mos, and at the same time that you introduce solids, offer water in a sippy cup, to compliment the solid "meal", which is ALWAYS (in the first year) AFTER nursing (or a bottle). Did you ask WHY they're adament about him getting juice? NO ONE needs juice, breast milk (if you nurse), formula (if you FF) and water (if you've started solids) are fine for hydration.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• He doesn't need any juice, so if he doesn't want it then it doesn't matter. I would try switching him to a soft nipple sippy cup. It might take him a while to get used to it, but it might be what he'd prefer.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:38 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• He doesn't need juice. Mine kids didn't start taking juice til then were 1. But try the advent sippy cups.
    jennmargaret

Answer by jennmargaret at 5:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2011