Gah what should I do??? I need answers!!

My daughter Kadence is 4 going on 5. She and her twin sister are Autistic. I need to know what I can do because Kadence is always doing something to get in trouble. She won't listen time outs don't work anymore NOTHING seems to work!! I NEED some new ideas on what I can do to TRY and get her under control. She does great at preschool and the second she gets home she turns into a terror!! Any and all ideas are welcomed! Thank you!

Bird16_J

Asked by Bird16_J at 4:01 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• idk if they have it where u live but her they have free counseling for things like that check with ur local health unit or dept of social services they helped my friend with her autistic child
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 4:07 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Besides the locale, what's the difference between preschool and home? And what level on the spectrum are we talking about?

My son has Asperger's. He needs a certain amount of predictability to his day, and plenty of advance warning of what's ahead. So when I pick him up from school, we talk about what will happen that afternoon and evening. When he knows, things stay much more under control.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:12 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• From school to home it's a five min bus ride in the afternoon. The girls LOVE riding the bus home and do so well on it. I hear that everyday from the bus driver. He loves the girls cause they're so well behaved. And with Kadence her level isn't severe but it's worse than her sisters, because Kailin has on the order of Asperger's. Kadence is a bit more severe than her. And even trying the whole predictibality thing she STILL acts up and is just horrible. Never listens, takes her diaper off in the bedroom and smears it EVERY where on the walls, carpet. So I'm constantly having to clean everything with some sort of bleach product and it's just getting to the point where i'm at a loss on what to do for her. She just seems to be getting more out of control the older she gets.
    Bird16_J

Comment by Bird16_J (original poster) at 4:21 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• So I don't really have any advice other than try and see if you can get her into see a behavior therapist? My daughter Kaydince see's a behavior specialist and it helps wonderfully. She is not autistic but has had a rough life with medical issues and severe sensory issues (which she has grown out of!!) Good luck to you and your family :)
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 6:33 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Thanks ali! I'll see if medicaid will help cover some sort of behavior therapy for her. I KNOW she needs it bad! But thanks for the idea! I'll def look into it!
    Bird16_J

Comment by Bird16_J (original poster) at 6:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Yes, medicaid will cover counseling for your child. I have my son in counseling now and don't have to pay a thing. Of course, copays are different for each state.
    GothicChk52

Answer by GothicChk52 at 10:04 AM on Feb. 6, 2011