cauliflower

I don't ever use this vegy thats really good for you cause I don't know how to prepare it so my finicky kids will eat it. Also what would pair well with this vegy? Thanks in advance for the tips!

MarGeee

Asked by MarGeee at 4:02 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I mash it in with my mashed potatoes! So good and they never know it's there. in fact mine are usually 1/2 and 1/2/
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:03 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• My kids will eat it when I fix velveeta to go on top of it. It will go with just about anything.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 4:04 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Mash them like potatoes
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 4:03 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• On Food Network's website there is a recipe (by Giada I think) for a cauliflower gratin. It has cheese and bacon.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 4:04 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• boil til almost tender throw in crockpot with cambells cheese soup and crumbled bacon til tender n u can eat it with any kind of meat
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 4:04 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• i usually cut it into florets (like broccoli) and boil it for about 25 min or desired time ( depends on the texture you prefer) but be careful not to overcook it cuz it will fall apart. Then i add some salt to it. Or to give it a little extra taste i add a little vinegar and olive oil along with the salt . I eat it by itself or as a side maybe with chicken and rice or steak and potatoes, you can also melt some cheese on it if you dont like the other options.
    MsBrazil86

Answer by MsBrazil86 at 4:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I either put it in the pot with a little butter a seasoning or steam it and put a little shredded cheese on top. It's super easy to fix and my favorite vegetable.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 4:19 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I like it just plain raw, although my tummy prefers it steamed with a little lemon pepper.

(Raw gives me terrible gas pains.)
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:49 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Crockpot Cheesy White Cauliflower Chili
    1 tbsp. vegetable oil
    2 onions finely chopped
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tbsp. cumin seeds
    1 tbsp. dried oregano leaves
    1 tbsp. chili powder
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. cracked black peppercorns
    1 14 to 19 oz. can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed, or 1 C dried white kidney beans, cooked and drained
    3 cups vegetable stock
    3 cup cauliflower florets, cooked for 4 minutes in salted boiling water and drained
    1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, minced
    1 green bell pepper, minced
    2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
    4 ozs. cream cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes and softened
    1 can chopped mild green chilies
    finely chopped green onions, optional, for garnish
    finely chopped cilantro, optional, for garnish

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 9:18 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, cumin seeds, oregano, chili powder, salt and peppercorns and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer mixture to slow cooker stoneware. Add beans and stock and stir to combine.
    Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours, until hot and bubbling.
    Stir in cauliflower, jalapeno pepper, green pepper, Monterey jack cheese, and cream cheese and chilies, if using. Cover and cook on high for 25 to 30 minutes, until the green peppers are softened and cauliflower is heated through. Ladle into bowls and garnish as desired with chopped green onions and cilantro.
    If you prefer thicker chili, mash some or all of the beans or puree in a food processor before adding to the recipe.NOTE: if you don’t have a slow cooker, you can certainly simmer this on the stove, stirring and adding liquid as needed.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:19 PM on Jan. 24, 2011