what has to happen for a child to fail kindergarten?

And like have to repeat the grade? My son is failing gym right now. I had no idea but apparently he's failed every aspect of it since the day school started. It's not a public school so the rights/laws might not be exactly the same. ... But they wouldn't actually hold a kid back for that, right?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 4:03 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in

• i would not think they would fail a k-gartner for "failing" gym! i mean, what?? the kid cannot run as fast? or is clumsy?? that is just silly! however, if a child needs to be held back for acedemics, k-garten is the place to do it! what they learn there are the foundation for everything else they ever learn! but gym?? really?? i would find out what effort the child is making and ask that be considered, too! good luck!!
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 4:07 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• The parents have to agree to hold the child back at most schools. How is he failing gym? What kind of requirements do they have for that class? Surely they are not going to make him repeat a grade because of gym?!?!?!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:07 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I think it's depending on the school. I know the schools I went to never held back. They just sent the kid to the next grade and informed the parent that they need to work on the failed subject. My brothers failed a lot of grades but none of them were ever held back.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:08 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I don't know, but this reminded me of something my DH said the other day. Out of nowhere she comes up and says "Mommy, if you don't learn anything in kindergarden you go to jail." LMAO, she's 5 and starts kindergarden this fall.
    paganmom05

Answer by paganmom05 at 4:09 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• i mean no offense in asking, please take my tone as sincere questioning...but...how do you fail gym, especially in kindergarten? what are they expecting him to be able to do?

Private schools can have their own requirements, within some state guidelines, but that's more to do with educational hours/attendance rather than curriculum.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 4:09 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I doubt they can hold him back for gym... I would wonder what exactly they were expecting of him and why you had not been involved sooner.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:09 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• wow i would really ask what they are making him do because that doesnt seem right to me. unless he is outright refusing to do anything i dont see how they can say hes 'failing'
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 4:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• It all depends on the rules of that particual school.i would let him repeat it and get him some workbooks to help him along the way and talk to his teacher to see what going on with him in the classroom
    tinamarie1972

Answer by tinamarie1972 at 4:20 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• no not for gym, the child has to have difficuties in several areas of learning gym doesnt count at this stage. But it also depends on on your state and district. Basically they want to make sure the child can read to a certain leval write paragrahs and have certain understanding of math number concepts etc.
    Its not just abc's aand 123's anymore!
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 4:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• In Western Canada, the curriculum from Kindergarten through to the end of grade 2 is a single piece... so it is technically not possible to 'fail' to accomplish enough of it.

Some kids will be held back when it's obvious they are not coping with the demands of the environment, but otherwise they'll get pushed forward with their age mates because that's 1/10th of how the Japanese system works and their kids kill themselves at a much higher rate so what they're doing is excellent...

Um...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:26 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

Next question in
I need help on going back to school.

Next question overall (Diet & Fitness)
weight loss