Update on my son wants to be a cheerleader! I am so mad at hubby now I could spit nails!!

I didn't close out my question on purpose,, was waiting to see if I was missing something, and thank you, to most of you for being supportive! We had several snow days in the past week, and today was our first day back at school, I had the form ready to turn in for my son, and he started to cry in the car, he told me that Mom I really want to be a cheerleader, but Daddy said everyone will make fun of me,,,, I pulled over the car, and said, honey I am not going to tell you what to do, but if you think it would be fun and you think you would like it, you should try no matter what anyone else thinks!!! I rolled in the door, and told my husband how dare he discourage our son from doing something,,(today is our anniversary),,, he just said I don't want him to do it,,and that is it,,,OMG! I mean honestly,,,am I missing something? I have to be at school to pick him up in 45 minutes,, and I want him to feel that he can make his own choice,, any help??

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 4:08 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• Let him. Sign the form. You are right about it being your husband's issue and not your child's. I would simply tell my spouse I'll support my child and if he chooses not to come to his games then that is between him and his son. If he is concerned about teasing then I would say I'll cross that bridge with my child when and if that happens. If he is worried he will be teased by his adult buddies....well not my problem. Be a man and grow a pair. His relationship with his child should matter more than what friends, coworkers, church members, or extended family thinks. And when your son gets into college with a cheerleading scholarship you can remind your husband to thank you.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:46 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Tell your husband to shut up and act like a father. This isn't about what he wants it's about what your son wants. He needs to be encouraging to his son even if he doesn't think boys should be cheerleaders.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:10 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• wow -- don't mean to offend you but your husband is being SO selfish! He should think about whats best for his SON!

Anyway, is there ANYWAY you can make it to the tryouts? I wouldnt bad-mouth dad to your son, but I would stress to him that he should try ANYTHING he wants to try and not worry about those tunnel-vision!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 4:12 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• At this point I would tell DH to butt out. I would tell DS, Yes mostly girls do cheer leading. There may not be any other boys in *that* class. That boys CAN be cheer leaders and that they have to be very strong to be cheer leaders and you think he would be good at it if that is what he wants. Tell him if HE is worried about it them maybe he can go visit the class one day and sign up after if HE still wants to. I would of course okay this with the instructor first but that is what I would do. And tell DH that you love him but if he has nothing constructive to contribute then to let you handle it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• My son wanted to play the flute and I was worried about him being teased. I gently tried to encourage him to try a different instrument, but he chose the flute. He loves it and not even one kid has made a disparaging remark to him about it.

Now on the other hand my sister has said several mean things. Just goes to show you that often times it is the adults that are the ones that perpetuate the stereotypes.

He has been playing for several months and just got first chair. :D
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:15 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• seriously anon? LMAO!!!! you're an idiot.

It's people like you is why her husband cannot open his mind up to other possibilities for their son. Kimigogo...show you're husband this thread so he can see how stupid it is (and how stupid some people can be), so he can avoid the stupidity of it.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 4:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• How does cheerleading turn a boy gay? Your ignorance is showing anonymous.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:12 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Isn't is scary that someone like scaredy-cat "anonymous" can influence the minds of children????

UGH!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 4:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• In my high school all the male cheerleaders were football players, so they were not feminine or gay. They had to be super strong to do stunts with the girls.

Also, if it were me, I would be very proud that my son is so indvidualistic that he is following his own passions and not letting his fear of what others think influence him. My regret from school is that I cared too much about what other people thought. I would have done so many things differently if I had been free to be who I wanted to be. Tell your husband that he is lucky to have a son who thinks for himself and is not a boring drone.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:15 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Anon is an idiot. Have the guts to sign your name when you make foolish statements, or keep your hands off the keyboard.

OP, your hubby is also being an idiot. Tell him to stop being an embarrassment to his son.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2011