Weight loss in early pregnancy?

Is it okay if you're already overweight? I have a 2 year old and I never lost all the baby weight...to be honest, I never tried my hardest. Now, I'm unexpectedly pregnant with a second...and I'm scared to gain too much, so I've been really careful with what I'm eating. Is it safe just to lose a few pounds early on??

crystalbean2

Asked by crystalbean2 at 4:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It's fine not to overdue it, just make sure you're getting enough nutrients for you and the baby. I started my pregnancy at a certain weight, lost weight until I was about 5 monthths, then started to gain weight back. and ended the pregnancy at the same exact weight that I started it. My Dr was never concerned b/c the baby was growing as it should have and I had extra weight already. GL
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 4:20 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• The whole story about eating for two is a myth anyway expectantly early in pregnancy. From my 2 month weigh in to me 3 month way in I lost 2 pounds. From my 3 month to my 4 month I gained 1/2 pound. My dr. didn't like that I lost 2 pounds but I haven't heard anything since. I am 5 months now and have only gained a couple of pounds and he isn't concerned at all.
    The books and dr will tell you the more you weight when you get pregnant the less you have to gain. In some cases women will even loose weight their entire pregnancy. My sister in law was not a big person but she looks fantastic 3 month after delivery due to low weight gain and baby was born just fine. I am not an advocate of dieting while pregnant and please make sure you take your vitamins but I too am pregnant and would love to loose a little of the preterm weight as well. we will see if I look just as fantastic in 4 months. lol!!

Good luck!!
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 9:31 PM on Jan. 24, 2011