What would you do? (Primetime)

I was watching What would you do? on Friday night. One scenerio was about a boy wanting a Barbie and the other was about a boy wearing a princess dress. Now I know many women will agree to let kids do what makes them happy. I am one of them. But why does that double standard still exist? So many little girls are accepted as "tom boys" and play with trains and such. But when a little boy picks up a doll the men are up in arms about it. Why? Are they insecure? They are ok with their daughters being a little rough around the edges but when their sons tend to be interested in "girly" things its wrong. My dh was watching and agreed with the actors that you just dont buy your son a barbie. I asked him why and he says "I dont know?". lol Is it just what we are taught or just an insecurity?

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 4:32 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• It has a lot to do with the way the father was raised, and his ideas of "being a man."
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 4:44 PM on Jan. 24, 2011