The great debate!

Do you consider corn a veggie? What about potatoes?
I have always called them veggie till my MIL screamed at me saying I was wrong and that they are called a starch. I just had my smartass comment and said  "Well I don't see the starch category in the food pyramid."

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 4:33 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Food & Drink

• tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• bitch alert :)

i consider them both veggies. but i realize they both turn into starch in the body, so if im making one or the other, i dont serve another starch and serve a salad or some other kind of veggie with it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:38 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• and people wonder why americans are fat.

If you can't answer the question then don't bother with your rudeness.
    Anonymous

• I call them a veggie, but know they are a starch, so I don't count them as a serving of veggies.

On to your MIL... Often times those that lash out are in some kind of pain. You should go over and hug her and tell her how much you love her. If you don't think she is in enough pain to lash out at you, maybe you could kick her in the shin while hugging her :D
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:37 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I consider corn a veggie. I do not consider potatoes a veggie. I do not know where a potatoe is put in a food pyramid.

Answer by louise2 at 4:46 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Hmm.... I don't actually worry about it too much. I just track my eating habits and enter what I eat on my food tracker and it tells me how many carbs, fats, and proteins I've eaten for the day, and how many I need or can eat in the remainder of the day.

No ONE food makes people fat. Excess in any form and lack of exercise does it. So yeah, even something as craptacular as Corn Pops can be part of a healthy diet when eaten in moderation. So can regular corn and potatoes.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:46 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• In my mind, it always has and always will be a veggie. =P
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 4:34 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Starch will be things like rice and noodles... and yes, potatoes fall there? Corn is more of a "filler", we do not digest it, why when you poop you see whole kernels??? ~*Eewww*~
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 4:34 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• No and no.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:39 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• type in the word corn and see where it falls according to the pyramid. if americans are fat because of corn, then the guide is very misleading.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:53 PM on Jan. 24, 2011