So do you really think someone can make someone GAY? Thanks to all of you who were supportive!

I asked the question about my son wanting to become a cheerleader, it never crossed my mind that some of you would think this could make someone gay,,, IDK what rock some of you have been living under, but making someone gay is impossible, making someone hide the fact of what they are is possible,,,I would like to know if you all think it is possible? I think that being a good person is what is important,, but I will listen to all arguments/opions!

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 4:55 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• no way people are born gay and if they are gay often it is noticed when children are youg parents need to be encourageing of how kids want to express them selves. A boy cheering is the same as a girl playing hockey or football is she gay not always. But we need to love our kids no matter what!
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 5:09 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Yes, by the power vested in me by Tinky Winky and the magical pink sparkly "fairy dust" I can make ANY male gayer than a Drag Queen New Years Eve party!

*eyeroll*
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:37 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• anon, why would someone choose to be harassed, made fun of and criticized poorly? why would someone choose to have a partner that they have to go to another country (and likely another state) to marry them? why would someone choose to be prejudiced and discriminated against?

they wouldn't. homosexuality chose them, from birth when they didn't even have a say. not the other way around. to think otherwise is ignorant.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:21 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• homophobes worry that they will catch "gay" anywhere, even close contact with other homosexuals or heaven forbid, accepting them for their sexuality. homophobia is a mental illness and as far as i know, the only cure for it is educating themselves on homosexuality. but they are too afraid they could catch gay that way. ;)

i remember your post and of course cheerleading will not make a person gay. i hope if he does go with it, he enjoys it :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• So, you're under the impression that sexual abuse makes people gay?

Were that the case, 90% of all children who attend church would be gay!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:03 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• No one can make anyone gay. Sure they can maybe have people think about experimenting trying to be with the same sex but there is no making. It's purely on their own and out of curiosity.

I relive people are born gay/lesbian

I hope you're able to get through to your hubby! GOOD LUCK!
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• That is the funniest thing I have ever heard!!! Can someone or something make you straight if you are gay?!?! The answer is HELL NO!!!!
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 4:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• No i don't think you can make someone gay. We had 3 male cheerleaders when I went to high school and all 3 also played basketball. It's actually safer to cheer with a guy because they're stronger. I also don't believe you can force them forever to hide who they are or that its right to not accept your child, for any reason. A parents job is to encourage their children to do whatever they want to do, not to set limits. Society sets enough of them, parents need to stop worrying so much what other people will think and encourage their child to be who they are, and then stand up for them when the ignorant public reacts.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 4:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I dont think being a male cheerleader makes you gay. There are alot of them out there. My dd is a cheerleader and we need those guys on our team to help! I think they might be smart too. I mean seriously, who are they hanging out with all the time? 

This isnt my dds squad shes 5 lol, just making a point they have male cheerleaders and everyone plays a role.

Answer by gemgem at 5:27 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Of course it isn't possible. Anyone who thinks so is delusional.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 5:34 PM on Jan. 24, 2011