RhoGAM concerns

It turns out that I am RH negative and father of my baby is RH pos. I was told by not only the OB/Gyn that I was seeing before but also the midwife clinic that I am now seeing that I need a RhoGAM shot.

Of course hearing that I needed to go home and find out everything I could about it. I have found a lot of things to be concerned with, but a lot of the information I am finding isn't really documented and it seems more like propaganda against the medical industry.

Anyone have any good info on RhoGAM shots during pregnancy?

Thanks!

meandrphoto

Asked by meandrphoto at 4:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Pregnancy

• If you dont get the rhogam it wont affect your first pregnancy but if you ever get pregnant again your body will see the baby as an infection and absorb it. You get it in the middle of your pregnancy, cant remember exactly when, then you get it again after you have your baby. And the same for any future pregnancies. I had it when I was pregnant with my daughter, now 18 months old. Its very important you get the rhogam shot if you ever want to have another child.
    Jessaroo1987

Answer by Jessaroo1987 at 5:07 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• The alternative is having your immune system kill your baby. If not this one, the next one.

Your choice, really.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I had to get the Rhogam shot myself, there is nothing wrong with getting it. It will not hurt you or the baby.
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 5:18 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Yes I had the shot during both pregnancies. I agree with momoftaterbug. It's no big deal.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 5:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• There is no alternative to getting the shot. I lost my first baby at 5 months due to this but after receiving the Rhogam I have had 3 successful pregnancies and I am having my fourth. Gosh I have had 9 of the shots. This pregnancy has been a little more complicated and I have had to have the shot more than once.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/rh-factor/MY01163/DSECTION=why-its-done
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 5:44 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I had it
    No problems here! But PPs are right. Either you get it, or you won't have any more kids because your body will kill them.
    I know I may want another kid down the road, so Another needle wasn't that bad.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 8:52 PM on Jan. 24, 2011