how to motivate a teenage boy who is intelligent but does not want to finish high school?

he plays fantasy games and is intelligent in other ways and reads alot but is more of social butterfly with friends I think he wants to stay in high school, but now most of his friends have graduated. Not sure how to motivate him, I do not buy him the games but he gets them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• Are his graduated friends going to college? If so look into a GED and send him to college. I got my GED when I was 16 and attended college. Find out what he wants to do with his life and help him achieve it. If he gets a GED make sure he knows how important it is to complete college with a degree :)

jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Do you pay the power? Is it your computer? Take back the power. Take away the computer. Don't give him any money and make him bring his luch to school. At this point, he is going to have to make the choice himself. I wish there was something that would have made me care. Going back later was hard! It's so hard as a parent to sit back and watch it, but we can only do so much sometimes.
    We have got to the point with my oldest that he may have to learn what it's like when all of his friends leave middle school this year and he has to repeat eight grade because he didn't do the work. We have cut deals, tried positive renforcement, grounding etc. I think sometimes they just have to see for themselves.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 5:04 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• you really need to sit down and talk to him and let him know the importance of graduating... and it's really not like he can't keep in touch with his friends while he still goes to school...
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 5:06 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Enroll him early in college classes he's interested in --online or in real life.

You'd be amazed at the difference between hand-holding and being ordered around available at high school and the freedom, autonomy and personal responsibility at the college level. If he finds something he's interested in studying at that level, he may just leave off high school and do early entry into a 'real' college program he's actually interested in... and it may just be enough to re-ignite his interest in following the thing to the end.

Contrary to popular opinion, you do not actually have to finish high school before graduating your doctorate... And I know one doctor and 2 Masters degree grads who do not, in fact, have either high school diplomas or undergrad degrees.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:08 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Cosby him. Figure out a monthly budget for cost of living expenses in your area - include rent, food, basic utilities, broadband net, cell phone, and make sure to include the $15/mo game subscription. Ask him how he intends to pay for it all. And then mention how, especially in this economy, there's not a lot of work for high school drop outs when there are hundreds of people who have one willing to work for the same money.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:08 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Take them to where the homeless take up camp? Mathmatically break down the cost of living, and jobs it would take just to survive?
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 5:10 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Have him job shadow people in jobs that do not require a high school diploma. He'll soon find that he does not want to do that kind of work for the rest of his life. My sister's husband never finished high school and he works all night long in a grocery store making barely minimum wage.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Show him what college grads make. Show him what hs gads make. Show him the type of jobs that drop-outs make. Ask him if he wants to have to worry about paying bills the rest of his life and having health insurance,etc. Give him a reality check.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 5:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Wow! You got a lot of really awesome answers! Best Wishes to you!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 5:17 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• my older bro was the same way. my dad told him he was either going to graduate or we were going to have a funeral(my dad wouldn't really hurt anyone it was more to scare the crap outta my bro) my dad also told him he would take him to school everyday, and sit with him in his classes and make sure hes doing his work so he would graduate(my dad was serious about this.)
    youngmami07

Answer by youngmami07 at 5:49 PM on Jan. 24, 2011