Entertaining kids on a long road trip?

How do you entertain your younger kids on a long road trip? Going to be traveling next month with a 2 year old and 3 1/2 year old and just looking for more ideas to keep them happy in the car!

montanagal2005

Asked by montanagal2005 at 5:18 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• movies, movies, movies....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:25 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Yeah get one of those screens that you attatch to the back of the headrest. Get one for each child. Buy some really good movies like Toy Story or Lion King!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 5:28 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• lots of snacks i went from michigan to arizona twice and my 2 are under the age of 4! snacks snacks snacks!!!!
    MrsKoolAid

Answer by MrsKoolAid at 5:30 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• We're gonna be on the road three days and don't want to be playing movies non-stop. We've got the DVD player, but looking for more ideas as well.
    montanagal2005

Comment by montanagal2005 (original poster) at 5:32 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• My kids love drawing on their color boards (magic erase - Magna Doodle type). They enjoy watching movies too, but they need breaks from that. CDs with fun, kid-friendly music are good. When travelling for more than a couple of hours I usually pack a cooler with a variety of snacks and drinks, particularly some different things they don't have all the time...maybe new cups too. If it's not too cold stop at a park at least once each day to give them a chance to run around and play. If it is too cold for outdoor play try stopping at a mall or something at a less busy hour and letting them run around a bit. Pack a few surprises too, like books and dollar store toys.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:38 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• drawing, movies (now that I have a porta dvd player), car games (can you find something that begins with...), singing songs, telling stories (for the 7 year old), game boy, music on the radio, and magnetic car games (magnetic checkers, tic tac toe ect...)
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 5:48 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• distractions!!!! show them the senery
    MrsKoolAid

Answer by MrsKoolAid at 5:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• momsminivan.com is a great resource for lots of ideas and games for kids & roadtrips.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 6:19 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Have them look for certain cars or licencse that start with a certain letter. I do it with my 2 year old he can not say the names but he will look for 10 - 15 mintues for a H state but from a licence with an H on it we still give him credit and praise him for it.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 6:28 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• We did a 12 hour car trip, both ways, and decided the DVD player saved our sanity. But we traveled mainly at night as far as we could so he would be sleeping a lot of the time. We play word games. My husband says a word, I say the first word that comes to mind, then my son thinks of a word that comes to his mind based off my word. I bought a tray for the car seat so that he can color and play with his select toys we brought. We also went to Barnes and Noble and bought several scenes with reusable stickers. We chose the safari scene and silly faces. Then of course we have the doodle pad that you draw and erase right on the board - no pens or crayons necessary. Sing a longs. Story time with me telling him stories. I also did sock puppets for a car puppet show.  We did stop at every rest stop to give him the chance to run free and we would play tag and race.  Usually they are very clean and scenic.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:09 PM on Jan. 24, 2011