whats your opinon on pacifiers..at age 3?

for daytime anytime use, not just naps or bed?
my dd stoped taking them at 3mo and my ds never took one, but i know a few people who have now 3 year olds who stil use the paci all day!
i personally think its ok for nap and bed time till about 3, and then a stuffed animal or blanket should be introduced, but iv never had the paci issue so im speaking out of my imagination lol

SimplyErathy

Asked by SimplyErathy at 5:35 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son is 2 and a half and i let him keep his, but only because he has autism and the world is too much for him to handle so i like to keep him as comfortable as possible. for a normal kid though 3 is too old, i think it should ideally be gone at age 2
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 5:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• By age one pacifiers should be limited to naptime and bedtime, and by age 2 it's time to make it disappear.  By age 3 the pacifier should be history.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:44 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• my son never used one. at age 3, its time to get rid of it! JMO
    youngmami07

Answer by youngmami07 at 5:39 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I think there's exceptions to every rule.

For example Suri Cruise is like 4 or 5 now and still on a BOTTLE. And I'd assume a paci too although I am not sure. Why do I think it's OK? Because her life is very stressful. She goes huge amts of time without seeing either parent, has many nannys, never knows what house or hotel room she'll wake up in when she goes to bed at night, etc etc etc .... I know children of deployed parents and other such stresses should be immune from the standard pacifier rules/guidelines. they cant smoke or drink or join a gym to relieve stress, it's all they have
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:43 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• my son never had a pacifier, mainly because he didnt like it, but if the kid can say "I want my paci" IMO s/he is too old for it, and it should be substituted with a stuffed toy or blankie. Those are bad for teeth I think.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 5:46 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• For my children, that would be unacceptable.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 5:54 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• my opinion is vampire fangs
    MrsKoolAid

Answer by MrsKoolAid at 5:36 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• My kids were never pacifier babies, but my personal opinion on a 3 year old having one is that it's ridiculous.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 5:37 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• my daughter had one for anytime use till 1 yr old.. then from 1-2 and half she had it only nap or bedtime but only if she needed it.. normally she didnt want it.
    ArystaBrat

Answer by ArystaBrat at 5:40 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Once a child is able to walk, the pacifier needs to go. It's hard - all of my kids had them; but by that time they don't need them anymore for soothing - by that age it is more of a security thing.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:40 PM on Jan. 24, 2011