My son's memory verse for this week- Thoughts? (all faiths welcome!)

God's grace has saved you because of your faith in God. Your salvation doesn't come from anything you do. It is God's gift. It's not based upon anything you have done. No one can brag about earning it. - Ephesians 2:8-9

I emphisized the parts I found most interresting and am most curious to hear thougths on.  I am not trying tom ake any kind of point.  This weeks verse strucka chord with me personally because I had never though of it that way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:38 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I like it and agree with it. Our salvation is a gift and it's up to us to take it. God hate's pride and arrogance which is why our "good works" do not save us. No one can "work" his/her way into heaven,
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 5:52 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Woo hoo LOVE LOVE LOVE that one!
    My response would be too long on what I think :-)

I will say this simply... it means we do not have to strive in our walk with Him, we just need to rest and live in Him!
    I'll post in next box the scripture from another version....
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:30 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• It means we are saved ( knowing him & going to heaven) because of our faith in Jesus ( believing in him) we can not save our selves only Jesus can! Thats God's gift to us that are saved.
    You can not get to heaven by being so sweet,kind,loving,caring, helpful,& all the good deeds and ect ect it dosent matter how good you are you have to be saved. The saved should act & be light that because of Jesus because Jesus is love he lives in us so people should see Jesus in you if you have him.

I think that is a great verse your son has & I am glad you got to read it & think about it :)
    IloveJesus316

Answer by IloveJesus316 at 6:25 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• i think it means that you cant do good things like donate to the poor or do volunteer work and then brag about how youre going to get into Heaven for doing all those things
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 5:41 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Now God has us where he wants us, with all the time in this world and the next to shower grace and kindness upon us in Christ Jesus. Saving is all his idea, and all his work. All we do is trust him enough to let him do it. It's God's gift from start to finish! We don't play the major role. If we did, we'd probably go around bragging that we'd done the whole thing! No, we neither make nor save ourselves. God does both the making and saving. He creates each of us by Christ Jesus to join him in the work he does, the good work he has gotten ready for us to do, work we had better be doing. Eph 7-10 The Message
    Shaneagle777

• I think this is a wonderful verse and I totally agree with patant
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• You asked for thoughts and this is what came to my mind...I think this is wonderful! If I could teach my child anything in this world this would be it. If I could only teach her one thing, this would be it. My daughter is also 5. This has been on my heart lately. Trying to teach her about salvation. To teach about salvation is one thing though. To teach to prick the heart is most important. In order to prick the heart for salvation I believe the law needs to be presented. God's law, his ten commandments. Because of your post it has sparked in me an urgency to teach my daughter these important things. I think I will try to teach her the 10 commandments, then I will probably use the Bible verse you are using to teach about salvation. She may not be of an age to make the decision to accept Jesus yet or fully comprehend the importance of it yet, but presenting it early is not going to hurt anything. Thank you for posting!
    myfirstloves

Answer by myfirstloves at 9:36 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• that is LONG! My son is in kindergarten at a private christian school and their memory verses are teeny. how old is your child?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:39 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• His was actually an abbreviated version of this one since he is 5. This was the one for 3rd-5th grade.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Everyone has earned God" grace . We cannot earn something we already have, but we can lose it.
    patant

Answer by patant at 7:52 PM on Jan. 24, 2011