Does walking REALLY help you dilate?

sbushman13011

Asked by sbushman13011 at 5:38 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It helped in my first pregnancy
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:39 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• didnt help me be everyones different! take shoots of vinegar and shoots of castro oil
    MrsKoolAid

Answer by MrsKoolAid at 5:40 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• It helps to bring the baby down but it won't put you in labor , unless you were already going there real soon. But it is awesome in labor to speed things up.

LOL I tried everytime and it just left me soar and tired! :P So I asked my OB.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 5:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I felt like I walked all the time but didn't dialate one bit with my first... my bf said that she just loved me so much she didn't want to come out...
    I think it's all chemistry, when your body is ready it will do it's thing.. walking helps with keeping you in shape for all the pushing though (I think... I had a c-section). Those exercize balls are supposed to help too.. sit on that sucker and stretch. Helps with that tightness on your inner thighs and increases flexibility for labor time.
    summermommie2b

Answer by summermommie2b at 5:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Didn't for me :)
    momma_2_three

Answer by momma_2_three at 5:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• It does help bring the baby down into the birth canal. Now weather or not it actually causes labor is a different story. I walked all the time with all 3 of my kids and even with my first I only had to push 3 times (my last one it was one push and he was here! lol). My doc told me it was all the walking that helped.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 5:48 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• It CAN. Gravity and the movement of the pelvis during walking does typically help to bring the baby down which in turn can help you dilate.

BUT how dilated you are has NO BEARING on when you will go into labor. You can be 4 cm dilate, 80% effaced and not go into labor for several weeks.

OR

You can be 0 cm dilated 0% effaced and go into labor tonight.
    Anonymous

• Didn't help me. I walked, and walked and walked, and never dilated!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:50 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• it won't hurt : )
    a nap actually helped me with my last baby!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• It didn't help me at all - I roamed around the hospital for a few hours until my back labor was so bad that I couldn't hardly stand up. Nothing seemed to move it along any faster.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:41 PM on Jan. 24, 2011