Really worried... baby's limbs measuring short

I just received a call from my midwife to tell me that my ultrasound results had come back and everything looked fine... except for the fact that his limbs, all four, are measuring short. Not just a little, in the 3-5% range. I'm being referred to a geneticist within the week. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm just looking for a little reassurance or what to expect... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Annabel1809Lee

Asked by Annabel1809Lee at 5:41 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Pregnancy

• your child is a gift! as long as theres a heartbeat and all the limbs it doesnt matter how long they are
    MrsKoolAid

Answer by MrsKoolAid at 5:43 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I had this during my pregnancy with DD.. First time we were told her head was too small.( like way too small).. then we travelled to a big city every 2 weeks. then the ultrasound tech said her limbs were too small. Then her body was too small.. It had me so worried. By the time I gave birth she turned out small. She was 5lbs 12 ozs and maybe 16 inches long. She is now 4 and still quite tiny but healthy!.. so until they are for 100% sure there is something wrong just breathe and relax.. Babies are allowed to be small..
    ArystaBrat

Answer by ArystaBrat at 5:44 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Do you have a history of any type of dwarf syndrome?

I don't mean to scare you in anyway. It's just that short limbs are typically the first sign that the baby may have a type of dwarf syndrome.

Good Luck Mama!!!
    Anonymous

• Mrskoolaid...

Of course all children are a gift from god but this mother has every right to be concerned!!
    Anonymous

• yes but she can relax her baby will be find and there is medically nothing she can do to change anything
    MrsKoolAid

Answer by MrsKoolAid at 5:48 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• No, no congenital/skeletal disorders of any kind run in our family. My first thought was dwarfism, which isn't so scary... but then of course my mind jumps to downs, which is terrifying to me. My first pregnancy was completely normal.
    Annabel1809Lee

Comment by Annabel1809Lee (original poster) at 5:49 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Mrskoolaid....

Maybe not anything she can do MEDICALLY but she CAN PREPARE and EDUCATE herself as much as possible so that she is well prepared to deal with any issues. And what kind of mother WOULDN'T worry about something like this? None that I know.

OP...

sometimes dwarism and other skeletal issues can happen when there is NOT a history in the family. It's more likely when there IS family connection somewhere but certainly NOT unheard of for it to happen without history.

For now I would just try to relax as best you can and wait to see a specialist. Then go from there. ***HUGS****
    Anonymous

• Yes I do. My youngest sons humerous and femur bones were measuring short. I was also told that he was very small and had what is called IUGR (Intra Uterine Growth Restriction). My AFP test also had come back as having an elevated risk for a chromosomal abnormality. I had 9 ultrasounds during the end of my pregnancy. In the end, it turned out that my son was absolutely fine. And when he was born he did not have short bones or IUGR.

During the entire pregnancy I repeatedly refused to have an amnio. I think if I had it to do over though I would have just skipped the AFP test and gone right for the U/S....not because I would ever terminate the pregnancy but just to know what I was dealing with one way or another. But partially I think I kept refusing the amnio out of fear.

How far along are you?
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 6:02 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I'm 21 weeks today, and that was at my 20 week ultrasound.
    Annabel1809Lee

Comment by Annabel1809Lee (original poster) at 6:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• That's about the time they started to notice things when I was pregnant also. My perinatologist was able to tell me right away that he did not suspect dwarfism. They were more concerned about downs syndrome or another chromosomal abnormality. My doctor was off by about 10 days on my due date and absolutely refused to change the dates. One time I actually managed to convince the perinatologist to plug in what I knew to be the correct dates when he was doing the u/s (not the technician but the perinatologist) and he agreed and when he did that all of my numbers were out of the risk area BUT he would never agree to do it again. Was covering his ass I guess. Could your dates be off maybe? Even if they aren't U/S measurements are never exact.

Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 6:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2011