Is folic acid good for pregnancy and during which month is better to take it?

Some people tell me that folic acid is very good for the pregnacy and even before pregnacy is very good am 25 weeks pregnant and I want to know if am still on time to take it to make my baby grow more healthy.

EvaMaria18

Asked by EvaMaria18 at 5:04 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I think you should still take it. It's in your pre-natal vitamin.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• You are supposed to start taking it three months before you want to get pregnant. If you are taking prenatal Vitamins, it probably has it in there. I am sure it is worth something-now though. Ask you Dr.
    Simonsmama

Answer by Simonsmama at 5:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• If you are trying to get pregnant Folic acid should be a priority. Why..lack of folic acid cause neural tube defects (spina bifada etc).
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:55 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• You should be taking a prenatal, and prenatals typically contain folic acid because of how essential it is during pregnancy. If you're not taking a prenatal, you should start :)
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 6:17 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• You get folic acid when you take your pre-natal vitamins and it is an essential vitamin for the baby because it can help prevent so many birth defects.
    its_mrs.valdez

Answer by its_mrs.valdez at 6:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• yes it's very important for brain development. i drank a glass of orange juice every morning (one of the few things that doesn't make me sick first thing). It's in your prenatal vitamin and if u are still concerned you can talk to your doctor to see where the levels are and if you need to take more.
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 8:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• its better before it helps you get pregnant
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 1:56 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• folic acid is essential during pregnancy. And while you should take it every day preggers or not, it should be a slightly higher dose during pregnancy.
    Anonymous

• Hi

This vid is useful

http://www.icarecafe.com/video/134

Rgds

Belinda
    BelindaShale

Answer by BelindaShale at 7:18 AM on Jan. 28, 2009