What do you use to disinfect your counter tops, cutting boards, stove top?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 5:53 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Home & Garden

• the recipe is
    1 gal water
    1 cup vinegar
    1 cup ammonia
    1/2 cup baking soda.

I keep a gallon jug of it under the sink and fill an empty spray bottle for around the house jobs.
    The baking soda will foam just a little bit when you're making it, but that will settle down. When using it, the baking soda may dry if you miss wiping it, but when you do wipe it off it'll polish whatever you're working on. Cuts through grease on the stove and counters, makes it practically no-scrub. We have hard water and it works well in the shower too! The vinegar neutralizes odors! I love this solution.

This is what I use as well. Vinegar is an excellent disinfectant. People seem to think that bleach is the only disinfectant that can be used. The level of acidity in vinegar kills the germs just as well as bleach. Plus, vinegar is so versatile and is safe for the environment. No harsh chemicals!!!
    ZBandMom

Answer by ZBandMom at 3:34 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• lysol spray or method cleaner
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 7:32 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Clorox Wipes
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:54 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I use Fantastik OxyPower spray on all the hard surfaces, and put my cutting boards in the dishwasher.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:55 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• bleach or lysol
    ArystaBrat

Answer by ArystaBrat at 5:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• cutting boards I put in dishwasher always except once a month or so I soak them overnight in bleach

stove/oven I just use regular cleaner like 409 unless I am spot cleaning a spill then it's clorox wet wipes

counters depends on how bad they are. normal spot cleaning is clorox wet wipes. major scrub downs w/ a sponge and comet as needeed
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:00 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Lysol kitchen spray
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 9:38 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Vinegar cleaing solution
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I make my own cleaning solution - it is non-toxic and cleans anything from counter tops to shower doors.

the recipe is
    1 gal water
    1 cup vinegar
    1 cup ammonia
    1/2 cup baking soda.

hippomom1919

Answer by hippomom1919 at 1:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2011