Would you eat it?

If you went to a new friends house or just met the parents of your bf would you eat what they cooked if you didnt like it? Would you suck it up and grin? lol Have you in the past? I would eat it personally out of respect. I hear of these ppl that go to others houses and ask for a special menu! Unless its for religious purposes or personal beliefs then why be so rude? Ive always been told to be respectful and eat whether you like it or not. Have times changed or is this rare?

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 5:54 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I was taught the same. I had friends as a child who immigrated from Poland and their food was so hard for me to handle. Their Mom considered it SUPER rude to turn down a meal offer so occasionally I'd be asked and have no choice. I remember praying in my head w/ each bite "Please God don't let me throw up". I learned take small portions, lots of water, and bread helps everything go down.

If you have major dietary issues, don't accept meal invites.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• i would eat it...but a good host would always ask what you like, right?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:04 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Unless it makes me physically ill to eat it, then yeah I generally eat a little to be polite, then find an excuse as to why I didn't eat much. Usually I just say I haven't been feeling well and my appetite is still a little off. If I'm starving when I get home, then I make myself something else.

But other than maybe once or twice in my whole life when the food was REALLY NASTY have I ever been a guest somewhere and the food was inedible.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I would at least try it. I like to try new things. Unless I am allergic to it. Best rule of thumb never ask what is in it( other then if you have allergy "is there eggs in it?"). And dont try to smell it. That way you might eat it and find out you like it!
    ArystaBrat

Answer by ArystaBrat at 5:56 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I'm respectful and would eat it. I wouldn't want to offend anyone, that just isn't who I am.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 5:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Mama always told me you can't eat just anybodys cooking and I learned the hard way that not everybody can cook. I have gotten sick from people who I don't knows cooking so no for me I would eat before I go and just tell them I'm not hungry.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 6:01 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I would try it unless like stated previously, due to a religion or allergy. But here is a question. Wouldn't the boyfriend know the girlfriends preference? Say if she's a vegetarian or is allergic to shellfish or something and the parents are wanting to have her over for dinner, shouldn't he say something to the parents so she isn't put in that position to begin with?
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 6:03 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I have no food allergies and I am not a vegetarian/vegan. So If the food looks edible. I eat it. To be nice.

Answer by louise2 at 6:03 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• The only time I would not eat it is if there was an allergy issue. Otherwise, it's terribly rude to be invited into someone's home and not eat what they have prepared for you.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:40 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I do, but if it's really bad, I may not eat it all.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 5:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2011