Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

What would you do?

My SIL is a heavy drinker and drinks and drives. With her son in the car! Ive politely told her to "be careful" or "stay over since we've all been drinking" but it all goes in one ear and out the other. Im worried for my nephew but she will not listen to anyone and does her own thing. No matter who it effects! What should I do? Should I mind my own business or call the cops when she drives drunk with her ds in the car? Im so torn right now. I know I need to be his voice but where should I start? BTW her family talks major shit but they dont do anything. Any suggestions? Have you been through this? If so then what did you do? TIA!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (14)
  • she needs to get caught to alert her to the seriousness. what I would PERSONALLY do is the next time I know she was driving buzzed or drunk I'd call 911 and have her stopped. It's harsh but better than a dead nephew

    Answer by hibbingmom at 6:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

  • My mother drinks and drives ll the time. Next time I know when she's driving and where she is going I am calling the police. She is endangering not only her sons life but other lives. Call the police next time. Maybe a DUI will make her think twice before she drinks and drives.

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

  • I think I would call the police if she insisted on driving drunk. I don't think I could live with myself if my nephew were hurt, or another innocent person because I didn't do anything.

    I'm so sorry that you're in this position, and that you don't have any real support with this.

    Good Luck

    Answer by ohwrite at 6:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

  • Is she drinking at your house when she has him? If so, don't offer her drinks while at your house when he is there.
    You definitely need to say something. Just tell her straight up - that she can not drink and drive, whether he is in the car or not. She can kill herself and/or somebody else...somebody else's family member. If she continues you will call the police.

    You're in a tough spot momma but doing and saying something is the right thing to do.

    Good luck!

    Answer by cheekycherub at 6:06 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

  • call the police! thats her sons life! just make sure someone is ready to watch the boy because she will spend the night in jail

    Answer by MrsKoolAid at 6:06 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

  • If I was you, and she has been drinking and you know she is drunk and driving with her son, I would call the police. It is not only her and her son who are at risk, but everyone else on the road. It does not matter that she is your SIL, she is putting people at danger every time she gets behind the wheel drunk. Of course, if she is at your house and drunk and getting ready to drive--just take her keys away. Offer to drive her home or call her a cab or that she can stay the night there. I have done that with family members before.

    Answer by Tawneekitn at 6:07 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

  • Why don't you call the police and talk to them about it. See what they say you can do. I do not think calling CPS will do any good.

    Answer by louise2 at 6:07 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

  • i agree that getting caught is what will teach her, if she is caught with her child in the car she will get DUI and Child endangerment so its kind of up to you whether you want to call when she has her child with her or not but she definatly needs to be caught and deal with the consequenses..

    Answer by cassie_m at 6:08 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

  • I'd call the police.

    Answer by Bethsunshine at 6:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

  • Call the police as she is preparing to leave your home. Or...sneak her keys away from her purse or wherever when she's not around...

    Answer by misses_nick at 6:12 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.