what would you do???PLEASE HELP!!!!!

My daughters teacher called me this afternoon....she is in the third grade....my 9 year old was caught cheating on a math test today! she then lost it for the entire day and was completly out of line all day. im thinking a grounding is in order? and maybe writing a few paragraphs on why cheating is bad? what would you do? i am just furious with her!

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 6:06 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• have you talked to her yet? did she just not study or is she really struggling in math?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:08 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• grounding will work! how long were you thinking?
    MrsKoolAid

Answer by MrsKoolAid at 6:08 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• sounds like a good plan to me..maybe make her write the definition of cheating a bunch of times then an essay on y cheating is wrong...how did she cheat on a math test anyway?
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 6:08 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Grounding is very appropriate AFTER you find out why she did it. Write a paragraph on why not to cheat tho.....? Not something I would do. I'd start by taking away something. Cell phone (most kids her age have one) mp3 player or something equally valuable to her.
    The reason I suggest asking why she did it is because you don't want it repeated and if you understand maybe you can head it off if it ever comes to it again.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 6:09 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I think grounding is a good idea, I might also give her some chores to do while she's grounded. What was the school's punishment for her behavior? My boys knew that if they got in trouble at school, I would back up the school, and make the punishment twice as tough at home.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:10 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I would talk to her first, find out what is going on. Maybe she is really struggling in math. Grounding won't help if she is having issues learning.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 6:10 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• i would say atleast the rest of the week after school. no she isnt really struggling with math. she chooses to pay her attention to her friends. she is very smart and could easily learn these things if she stopped chatting and getting up during instruction time. we have been dealing with those issues all year but cheating is a whole new thing for her. this is not something i thought i would ever have to deal with especially not in the 3rd grade!
    cassie_m

Comment by cassie_m (original poster) at 6:10 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Another suggestion would be to have her read the paragraphs out loud to her Teacher, not in front of the students, but you, and her teacher. When our 14 yr old was being mean to our 8 yr old son I made him write an essay on why he shouldn't be mean to his little brother, and then read it aloud to him, by the end of it he was crying, and it made him realize why he shouldn't be so mean.....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 6:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• the teacher is just going to keep her from recess tomorow to talk about it,
    cassie_m

Comment by cassie_m (original poster) at 6:12 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• if shes to social then loosing her friends should definatly be a punishment
    MrsKoolAid

Answer by MrsKoolAid at 6:12 PM on Jan. 24, 2011