DS keeps eating all the cookies!

i sleep during the day-- work at night.... DF "watches" DS during the day so i can get my sleep. what happens during that day? this is the SECOND TIME i woke up in a week to having the ENTIRE package of Oreo cookies gone-- eaten just by DS, no one else. the entire package. he doesnt really eat anything else during the day-- sometimes cereal.

what am i gonna do!? i'm not the one who buys the damn cookies either. its so frustrating. DS is 5 years old and weighs 50 lbs. and now, you can tell he has fat/chub on him.... but he's not gonna get healthy by eating cookies all day, every day.

i'm really debating on just quitting the job so i can keep an eye on him- and force DF to work. (i make $14/hr-- with bills, its not enough for childcare, but we are living comfy... compared to the $8/hr that DF would be lucky to make)

what am i gonna do!? i dont want DS to end up fat like me (i'm 210, trying to lose it but i have HUGE medical issues thats making it hard-- plus working at a sit down job. ugh) basically, DS is gonna end up with high blood pressure, heart problems, diabetes and probably cancer. he already has a kidney disease through genetics. i want to PROLONG his life-- not kill him faster by feeding him crap food (not like i'd make some amazing, made from scratch food... but it'd beat the 3 cookie meals he's currently eating!)

i dont know if i should punish DS for getting in the cupboard (he knows not to, unless he goes for cereal) or punish DF for basically making DS go into the cupboard since HE'S not preparing meals!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd handle it by preparing meals ahead of time for them to heat in the microwave.....and then get the cookies out of the house, even if you have to throw them away every time you find them....I'd also have DF get a job, even if all it does is pay for a babysitter that will take better care of your child.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 6:22 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I had this issue when my DS would wake up before me in the morning and get into the pringles container. ALL the pringles would be gone and he would put the container back in teh cupboard empty. I would talk to DF and let him know how upset this is making you and how unhealthy this is for your DS. Hopefully that works. I would not stop a $14 hr job for that. If that doesn't work though I am not sure what to do (my ex husband does the same thing with our son- crap food ALL the time. At least now I have him convinced that a LARGE bowl of large marshmellows is not a good snack for ALL day snack). Men
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 6:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Just because you do not buy the cookies does not mean you can't throw them away. Or tell your SO to stop letting you son eat junk food.

Answer by louise2 at 6:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• DF needs to get work and you may even qualify for day care funding. NO cookies in the house period. TellDF that.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 6:25 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• YOur friend needs to get a job and you need to take control of your son and what he is eating. KInda freaky what it is that your DF is doing while your son eats a whole container of cookies? That is scary.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 7:27 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Could you afford day care if your SO were working? Maybe that woud be the best solution for your family. Otherwise, I would trash the cookies as soon as they came into your home and make sure there were easy healthy snacks for your little guy.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:36 AM on Jan. 25, 2011