soda tax ...

I know they're always talking about adding additional fees/taxes to soda purchases. If that ever happened would you still buy and drink it or stop altogether?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 6:21 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Shopping

• Oh, I'm sure I'd still drink it, even if the prices went up because of taxes :P
    TiffanieJohnson

Answer by TiffanieJohnson at 8:40 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• soda can be an addiction, so people who want it badly enough will still buy it regardless of the tax. we rarely have soda around here, so it wouldn't bother me because i only have it when we have parties or if im just in the mood for one. i cut out soda a long time ago and actually lost a lot of weight.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:23 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I think its a good idea- just like taxing alcohol or tobacco products. Its a form of tax revenue which is 'opt-in'.

We only have it on rare occasion, so I would likely still purchase it as a 'treat'. Pop around here is unsweetened seltzer with lime juice, and we get the occasional rootbeer to make floats, or for a birthday celebration.
    If someone wants it badly enough, they will buy it- but I see it as a great form of revenue.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:26 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Soda is a treat here, so yes, I'd still buy it. As it is, I will only buy the soda from the health food store, so I already pay more for it; what's a few more extra cents?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 6:30 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• We would buy it as often as we do now, which is not very. We drink a lot more milk, water and tea than anything else.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:31 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• We still buy it but we go through like one 24 pack a month.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• We already pay tax & deposit on it. I don't drink much, and DH has cut way back. I don't know that it would stop me, but I already only buy it if it's on a really good sale, so I'd just continue to watch for good sales but not buy as much (I think right now between the 2 of use we go through 2-4 12-packs per month, if that lately).
    Anonymous

• I stop drinking that kindey and liver killing drink long time ago and i wouldnt even think twice about buying it tax or no tax
    tinamarie1972

Answer by tinamarie1972 at 6:39 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I rarely drink soda and even more rarely buy it for the house. I basically only drink it when we go out for pizza. If they taxed it, I would still have soda with my pizza.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:46 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I would limit the amount I drink. I think it is dumb to have all these taxes on things. Especially clothes depending on where you live. One needs to clothe themselves.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 10:06 AM on Jan. 26, 2011