How do I go about potty training my son?

He is 2 and is acting like he really wants to use the potty but just ends up playing on it

crystiansmomma

Asked by crystiansmomma at 6:27 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let him lead you. If he wants to play with it let him. Let him watch daddy go potty too.
    Lainee21106

Answer by Lainee21106 at 6:28 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• let him pick out his own "big boy" undies and tell him that "spiderman", or whoever doesnt want to get wet and wants him to use the potty :] we used this trick at the daycare i worked at.

also, put cheerios in the toilet and he can practice aiming :]
    ucancallmemommy

Answer by ucancallmemommy at 6:44 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• i agree with ucancallmemommy. The big boy underwear trick works well. You may have a few accidents at the beginning but thats expected. I also started mine off wearing pull ups (the overnight one at night too) and called them underwear because you can pull them up and down. Then I would allow him to do it by himself. I would dress him in clothes that he could get on and off and he would go when I told him it was time to potty. Its really cute. He goes to the bathroom, turns on the light, pulls off his pants and underwear, climbs on the potty and does his business. Then when hes done we sing our potty song and clap.
    RishawnsMom

Answer by RishawnsMom at 9:35 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• ok I have tried the cheerios thing my son has desided he wants to eat them......so what we did was my husban drew a target in the bottom of his potty and now he has something to hit without eating it. I let my 2yr old run around naked and he will relize when he starts to pee and runs to the bathroom to finish, we are still working on it
    SkylaReneeMom

Answer by SkylaReneeMom at 11:16 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• we are trying to get him to sit down first because it seems like what he is going for
    crystiansmomma

Comment by crystiansmomma (original poster) at 11:42 AM on Jan. 25, 2011