thoughts on bullying?

first off i will say i was bullied as a kid its been 8 years since it stopped,and what i learned is bullies are weak people and people who let bullies get to them are weak people (i am by no means trying to start a fight its what iv come up with) you dont want a bully to walk all over you/your kids, learn to be confident, walk with your head held high and like you have somewhere to go, if someone says something to you let it slide dont turn around and fight back because it'll only make them more prone to poking at you and making them think your a weak target

what are all your thoughts on this?

Lizzypuppylove

Asked by Lizzypuppylove at 6:28 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• I was bullied too. It sucked. I think people need to make a stand. Parents and teachers need to take a more active role when a child/teenager is being bullied.
    Lainee21106

Answer by Lainee21106 at 6:29 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• There is some truth to it. But not all bullies back down when you stand up to them....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 6:32 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• oh im not saying stand up to them by any means im just saying let what they say roll off you, iv stood up to one once in 4th grade and got punched out i wouldnt recommend standing up to them, all i was saying is if they see your confident and dont want to be messed with they usually leave you alone, thats how i did it anyway
    Lizzypuppylove

Comment by Lizzypuppylove (original poster) at 6:34 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I was never bullied in school or anything but allot of my friends & people i knew were & i was there to defend those getting bullied. I was not ok with it & always thought that those that were doing the bullying probably had something going on with themselves or problems at home or what not.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 6:41 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• This issue is my 'hot button"! I was bullied as a kid, by two older boys, who wre physically abusive (pushing, hitting). I tried to run, fight back, but they were older. Then, after coming home crying frantically, and my two older brothers finding out what had been going on...my brothers cornered the two boys later that day and beat the snot out of them. The bullies never bothered me again. Then there was an older girl at school who used to push and tease us. One day i got fed up and knocked her down. She never bothered us again.So, i thought maybe times had changed some 30 years later when my son was in kindergarten. nope. He (and others)was being physically bullied by a classmate. As soon as my son confinded in me i was up at school talking to the principal, thinking the school could/would handle it. I knew this kid from volunteering in the classroom too. I wasn't the only parent to complain about the issue. cont.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 10:11 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• The principal talked to the bully once, while the principal (three times), three teachers, and a para interogated my son about it. My son told the same story every time.I was furious when i found out how many people "talked" to my son about it. The problem never got resolved...by the school. When my son would go tell the para on the playground that this child punched him in the tummy, the para would put my son in time out for tattling. My son's teacher told me (yelling at me to my face) that "boys will be boys". Now, that teacher had been there for 30+ years, and has had no updated training. Finally, my husband and I taught our son how to stand up for himself and fight back, even after the school warned us that our son would be suspended for fighting if he fought back. To that, my husband replied, "we'll see about that, you'll be speaking with our lawyer when we sue you for not protecting our son". cont.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 10:17 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• So, it came down to our son fighting back. After he got up from the ground, our son yelled no and pushed the bully to the ground. The bully never again laid his hands on our son. After that had worn off, i taught our son how to treat the bully with kindness so if he wanted to be our son's freind, he could...with NO bullying. My son showed him how to be a freind, and there was a noticeable change in the bully's behavior (other parents noticed too). If this would have beeen an older child, i would have never sugested that to my son, but they were kindergarteners, and this bully had no positive influences. The school failed to see the red flags to this boys homelife, that i definately pointed out to them. If the problem were to continue, we were fully prepared to bring in our lawyer. I have since met the directors of education of our school district, and they gave me their business cards if we ever have this probelm again. cont.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 10:24 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• No excuse, NOT EVER! My kids may not be perfect but they know their little a$$es are grass if I EVER get a call telling me they have been a bully to another. Not acceptable in my world...not ever.
    Being bullied...look out, here comes momma! I won't rest til I put an end to whatever punk and their trash ass parents are punking on my kid.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:27 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• sorry this is so long, but people need to hear these stories. And here's my whole point: WE MUST be our children's advocate. Do not depend on the school system to. The schools are failing to keep our children safe. We as parents, and as communities MUST DEMAND the right to our children's SAFE education. We would never allow our children to be hurt at daycare, why should our schools be held to any less standards? We DO NOT sign wavers when our children enter school (nor should we ever). They do have the responsibility to keep our children safe and out of harm or danger. We must not only teach our kids to speak up, but parents too. If you don't fight for your child's safe education, who will?
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 10:32 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Bullies will always exist, some becasue they learn it, but most b/c the parents are absent in discipline, uninterested, or in denial. These bullies need to be pulled from mainstream education and re-taught, but until they are rehabilitated, they need to be out of the general education population. I say, three strikes and you move into a high-risk class. And, yes, all children should get a few chances to change or learn from their behavior. But if they are continuing to bully, then they need to be away from the kids who are in our schools to LEARN.

And, our kids have specialists who teach music, art, computer, gym...who not add a class starting in kindergarten all the way up to 12th grade that teaches social skills and how to function in real life? Since, unfortunately, many kids are just not learning it at home.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 10:36 AM on Jan. 25, 2011