If it means a lot to your spouse for you to clean house...

would you hire a cleaning service to help get you get started or would you do your best on your own?

My husband complains that the house isn't worthy of having company over. I do my best with four kids to maintain, but that's just it...I maintain, it's hard to clean. I lack the motivation. It was never something I was encouraged or taught when I was a child so I've never been one to really clean. It's not a Child's Services walk-in OMG issue...it's more papers on counters and shelves, laundry can pile from too many clothes sitting. Floor gets swept and only moments later its dirty again.

I thought if I had a cleaning service do a deep cleaning to start me out, I can maintain it again and keep up with it instead of falling behind, but since he makes it sound like I HAVE to do it...I feel I'm struggling so it'll be a LONGGGG process before it gets to that "spotless" stage. He works during the day that I could get a cleaning service to come by during his work hours and he won't know, but I'd know...

Thoughts? If you weren't a "cleaning house" person...what would you do in my shoes?

Imortlmommy

Asked by Imortlmommy at 6:47 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• Well a cleaning service will be for my own benefit other then that I can clean my house on my own if hubby bickers about something not being done they way he wants I tell him he can do it.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:49 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• My husband doesn't care. It is a must for me and drives me insane if it is not. I would work on being more motivated and tackle a room at a time.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:50 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I think he needs to sit down & really think about it with kids its hard to keep the house looking spotless. if he complains i would try to sit down & talk to him & explain no matter how many times you clean the house isn't going to be spotless when you have children heck i have 2 soon to be 3 & i honestly hate cleaning but i still do it & i clean 2-3 times a day & at the end of the day when DH comes home it seems like i didn't clean ...
    mommyof2chasmin

Answer by mommyof2chasmin at 6:53 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• oh & if i could afford it i would hire a cleaning service
    mommyof2chasmin

• A cleaning service will be a temporary fix, unless you have them come out regularly.

It is hard with small children. Can you get your husband to take the kids out on the weekend so that you can get some clear time to clean? It helps a lot.

I agree with Melbornj I would tackle it one room at a time. Make a checklist for each room, and start with the obvious stuff, then work your way from there.

Good Luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:54 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I would not go behind his back. I would tell him I have OUR 4 kids to deal with all day. My saying has always been. "If it is not clean enough for you. Clean it yourself." Do you really care to have company?

Answer by louise2 at 6:55 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Well I think everyone should help out. Pull their own weight, to a degree.
    UHNCDM

Answer by UHNCDM at 6:56 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I think that hiring a company for a deep clean would be very beneficial to you to get you started so that you can maintain.

However, I think that organization is the most important thing for you. The house is quite easy to manage if you have a good organization system that everyone knows how to use, including your husband and children.

There's so many great tutorials online to check out and so many really awesome products out there that can help you get and stay on track!! :) Good luck!
    crystac

Answer by crystac at 7:04 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• The cleaning service is great idea but temporary how about doing for a start but getting the kids to help you . Find a way to organize the stuff so that you all know exactly where to put it when out of place. I only have one right now and twins on the way. But I have made our home into a puzzle so when something is found on the floor that piece can be place back where it belong to complete the look. There are days when things will be outrageous but hey it easier if you already have set places for things to go.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 7:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• My house always looks lived in, it will never be spotless and I don't try to make it that way. If my husband wants it cleaner, then he needs to pitch in and help.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 7:23 PM on Jan. 24, 2011