At what age is a child expected to be able to wipe their own butt?

My son will be 5 on Thursday and he can not wipe his butt. He falls off the toilet lol... I don't mind helping him, I'm just generally curious, he's my first and i wonder how kindergarden is going to go if he can't do it himself since I know legally teacher's can't go in and help.

ba13ygrl1987

Asked by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:09 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'm not sure anyone can wipe their own ass. Lets face it...there has been a couple occasions where you wiped and wiped, maybe even used wet wipes, and the next time you go pee your find a lil streak in there! Unless you are using wet wipes and bending over a mirror you arent going to wipe your butt 100% everytime. BUT I have to say in reguards to children...it takes alot of time for them to really get to the point where they are wiping more often then not.
    Anonymous

• Then he should not sit on the toilet to wipe. Have him get off the toilet and stand with his feet on the floor. If it is a physical thing, then don;t worry about it, just wipe him until he can figure it out, but if it is a power struggle, don't play.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:35 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• lol -- I was kind of wondering the same thing!!

Why can my 3.5 DD wipe her bottom at pre-school, but not at home???
    When I ask her, she says because she HAS TO at school!

HA -- there's the answer I suppose!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 7:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I think fully where it is clean maybe 5 or 6 . But I have some friends with husband who still leave the railroad tracks in their underwear. If you are really concerned buy him some wipes that are able to be flushed and show him how to wipe til the tissue is clean and then once more with a wet wipe.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 7:18 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• around 6 is when they can start on their own but prepare for skid-marks for awhile
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 7:19 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• That is the last thing in potty training that a kid learns.  Even grown people miss some when they wipe.

Answer by louise2 at 7:21 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• sidesplittinglaughter

OMG Anon.... that is the funniest post I have seen if a LONG time. OMG>>>OMG>>>OMG.... I am still laughing!

Anyway, I think around age four kids are able to do a good enough job. My nephew was 6 and his mom still wiped his butt for him. He  expected me to do it for him too....Uh... nope...I refused and he did it himself. Of course he will continue to tell you he can't do it, if you let him get away with it.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:22 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Of course he will continue to tell you he can't do it, if you let him get away with it.

he's not just telling me, he has gotten hurt falling off trying to balance and wipe... he got him a step stool to put his feet on for balance and he just doesn't get it... He can't blow his nose either... the action of blowing just goes right over his short little body... doesn't matter how many times I demonstrate. The boy has been reading, writing and spelling since the day he turned 4, knows his right from left in all aspects, has a vocabulary that impresses everyone he meets, but can not for the life of him blow his nose... or wipe without falling... we're all special in our own ways I guess :)

Anon: That was hilarious, and so true! I'm still chuckling lol!
    ba13ygrl1987

Comment by ba13ygrl1987 (original poster) at 7:29 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• great question i have no idea either though lol.
    Destins_Mommy

Answer by Destins_Mommy at 1:36 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Y don't u let him stand in front of the toilet then try to wipe his butt?? That would make more sense. I don't know any child thai tries TO DO THAT IMPOSSIBLE THING WHILE STILL ON THE TOILET.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:50 AM on Jan. 25, 2011