Guinea Pigs safe outside?

My son recieved 2 guinea pigs in March and although I think they are cute, they started to smell- so in Sept. I put them in the patio and they seemed fine, I put them out on the lawn in the shade with their cage over them and they eat the grass and enjoy the change of scenery. What do I do during the winter??? I live in So.Cal. and it does get rainy and cold but does that mean they will "freeze" to death? What do you suggest for keeping them outside and loving them rather then keeping them inside and letting them stink it up?

Gigi1969

Asked by Gigi1969 at 2:07 AM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Pets

• Just clean them regularly. We had 2 of them growing up so I know the smell you're talking about. We have rats right now and they aren't the most pleasant. To clean their cage we use white vinegar or regular old soap and water. The vinegar disinfects and the vinegar smell goes away pretty much once it dries. We use vinegar for everything in my house and no one can tell.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:24 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• i do NOT reccomend putting them outside in the winter. i had a guinea pig when i was little and i just cleaned it regularly. you could even use different bedding. but unless you want your son to cry his eyes out because the guinea pigs died.

my mom put my guinea pig under the vent of our house and she caught a cold and died on halloween :( im sure being outside will be even worse. and we live in arizona, where its pretty damn hot out and def not that cold out in the winter.

lol just letting you know. they catch colds VERY easily. so try just changing the bedding type you use and changing it like every other day or every day if needed.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 2:14 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Point taken! lol (even though I am the one taking care of them now)!!!!!!! OK,OK I don't want to be the one crying my eyes out. I love "Indiana Jones and Sierra". Have you noticed the kids are all in the business of giving their new pets names but not taking care of them? Thanks for the advice!
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 2:59 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• i have 7 guinea pigs in the house we use critter care bedding and we change it once a week and they dont stink i would not recomend puting them out side i mad the mistake of doing that with one and he died.
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 5:52 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• They should not be outside. Clean them more often. They don't stink their bedding does.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 8:35 PM on Nov. 14, 2008