Debt collectors?

I was only 17 when I delivered my baby. It cost ALOT and Ive paid over $2,000. Its been four months and debt collectors are calling me daily. I haver NO money and their very threatening. Since I was under 18 is it supposed to be me who is receiving these calls or my parents? I'm not saying its their responsibility, but idk anything about debt collectors or bills. But idk what to do, they say its gonna get alot worse if i dont pay right away! what do I do??

Glouii

Asked by Glouii at 7:27 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Money & Work

• Try to talk to them about payment arrangements.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:30 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I agree try to work out payment arrangements or have your parents talk to them.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:37 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Contact the hospital and tell them you were a minor when you delivered your baby and you didn't have insurance. They have programs to pay for low income hospital bills. You need to read up on laws regarding debt collecting practices, they can't threaten you, they can not make contact with you more than once a day. They can't contact your parents either because it is your responsiblity.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:44 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I agree with matthewscandi. Also, tell them to STOP harassing you or you will file charges against them for harassment.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:50 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Payment arrangements work Out great
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 8:06 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Look up your state law. If they are threatening your or harassing you, you have grounds to sue them. And believe me, they will forget about that debt pretty quickly if you can hold something over them.

You can also record their phone calls. Just make sure you tell them that you are recording before hand.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:52 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Every hospital is willing to allow you to pay in payments, but you have to call and set this up. It might be too late to do this at this point, but it's worth a shot.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:04 PM on Jan. 25, 2011