How do you tell the difference between Chinese & Japanese?

How do you tell the difference between a Chinese person & a Japanese person?

mandystenger

Asked by mandystenger at 2:26 AM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Just for Fun

• really? thats kind of rude. how do you tell the difference from american to australian?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Ask them.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 2:30 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I don't think I'm being rude...I was asking the question so that I wouldn't come off rude if I ever talked to someone that was either Chinese or Japanese....I think it might offend someone if they were Chinese & I asked them questions about what its like in Japan. I asked a question, I didn't ask to be criticized...YOU are the one being RUDE.
    mandystenger

Answer by mandystenger at 2:31 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• okay well you didnt explain that, it was under just for fun so i thought you were making a joke out of it. i wasnt being rude either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:33 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• OK ladies calm down : ) I would simply ask in a nice tone "Are you Chinese"? they would then say "No, I am Korean or Japanese" and then I would say "oh cool" (depending on how close you are to a person) I would say something sweet like "OMG You're so pretty I couldn't figure it out or whatever the case may be. I'm speaking in the blah! blah! blah! sense. I personally am Mexican/ American but I have blondish hair and green eyes and I have been mistaken for being "white" and Spaniard so I don't get offended.......I also have Gaydar where I can tell if a person is gay or not. Don't feel bad we all have those moments.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 2:43 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• ---think it might offend someone if they were Chinese & I asked them questions about what its like in Japan.--

And if they were born in the US and had never been to Asia?

How about asking, "So where are you from?" instead? Then ask what THAT place is like. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 3:01 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Whoever is posting anonymously...Obviously you were being rude, when said that what I said was rude.

Thanks for the advice Gigi1969.

You make a great point gdiamante! I never thought of it that way!
    mandystenger

Answer by mandystenger at 3:57 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Asking would work, just don't pick one and ask are you _____. or from ____. Ask where they are from or what their heritigae is. My step mom is chinese and her sister married japanese. there are some very distinct facial differences, but I can't really explain it. Like any thing, you just have to get used to them and figure it out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:09 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• If they are Asian I would not assume they are either! This is the melting pot....they could be from Viet Nam or Korea or a number of other places.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:19 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Ask where they are from...I agree that they may not even be from Asia. Don't ever assume.
    TheDragn01

Answer by TheDragn01 at 9:25 AM on Nov. 14, 2008