What are some good individual sports for a 6 year old boy?

My son has ADHD, emotional issues, and possibly Aspergers. He has been in team sports for 2 years now and it is just not working out. We thought it might be best to put him in an individual sport for the time being. Other than martial arts, what other individual sport would be good?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 7:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would keep him in team sports, with having ADHD he needs to learn how to socialize with kids his age. Other than martial arts, what about bowling? It is kinda of a single sport.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:52 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• That is hard. How about running. Some schools have running programs after school for little ones. When my grandson lived in Monterey his elementary had one and he had aspergers.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:53 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• One of my sons had similar issues, and didn't do well with team sports. He took up tennis, and did really well at it, and enjoyed it. He did have to learn not to throw his racket when he was frustrated....but he became a good tennis player.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:53 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• My son does very well with group horseman ship lessons. It is done though a Therapy riding farm and they have social skills lessons on the back of a horse plus they learn the confidence of actually caring for and learning to control a horse. He is Asperger's/ADHD
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:56 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• But Mommie, where is this at? I know you live in the Atlanta area and we have been looking for a summer camp that offers something similar.

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 7:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• There is one by Athens that we go to called Butterfly Dreams Farm and There is another I know of called Parkwood farms and they are in Snellville.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:01 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• martial arts
    ttc_number2

Answer by ttc_number2 at 8:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Gymnastics
    Anonymous

• Swimming, ice skating, bmx racing, golf, bowling,
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 9:04 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I would suggest martial arts or horseback riding. I know there is a ranch locally that does "horse therapy" and it's pretty cool. Also, I would check into Special Olympics.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:34 AM on Jan. 25, 2011