My husband's company is going through a major change and he might be laid off.

He is freaking out, how do I help him relax? The big meeting is tomorrow at 11am.

I have reasoned with him the best I can. He says he is fine, but keeps pacing and acting like a wounded bear.

I love him so much and hate to see him so worried.

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 7:52 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• oh hon, Im so sorry. Sometimes there are no words to take the anxiety away, just you being there means so much to him right now
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 7:55 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• What is going to be will be. Pacing and worrying won't change it. But, when one door closes, a new one opens. If you get laid off, maybe it's because there is something better out there for you. We'll be okay, I know we will.

I've said this many times. Not only is it proven true for me, but it gives me a little peace of mind.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:55 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• BTW my hubby IS in fact laid off as we speak. :) We are doing okay.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:56 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Ha ha ha... musicmom.... I said those exact same words to him 15 minutes ago. :D
    SleepingBeautee

Comment by SleepingBeautee (original poster) at 7:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Could you give him a massage or something? The best thing is to be there to let him talk if he needs to tonight and if he needs to vent tomorrow no matter how it goes. It is hard. We have been through several layoffs over the years, but got through each one. Some were harder to bear than others. He will actually need time to "grieve" if he is let go and then he will have to regroup and move forward. Just being there through the whole thing will be a huge help. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Yeah, my DH is unemployed right now too
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Yeah, change is scary all around. It hasn't been easy, but we are just fine. It's actually allowed me to go a little further with my career since I don't have to deal with daycare.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:15 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• What you need to do is sit down with him and help him plan for him being laid off. What savings you have, applying for unemployment, you or him getting another job, etc. Knowing your options for the event of a job loss is vital to staying sane between not knowing and knowing. Help him figure out other options, maybe even putting in a few applications somewhere else just to know he's getting a foot in the door of another paycheck. Talk it out with him and figure out how you'd pay bills if he did get laid off, where the money would come from, what you'd have to do in the event of no money. Etc. That might ease his mind knowing what his options are and that you're there regardless.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:21 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• There's probably so much you can do, poor guy. My boyfriend went through this and all of the sales managers were nervous and one by one they were getting laid off. He got laid off on Jan. 7. He's having a hard time getting motiviated though because although he knew they were doing this, he thought he wasn't in the direct line of fire. I feel bad.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 8:53 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• It's a scary thing, sounds like you are doing every you can. Just make sure he knows you love him and are proud of him no matter what happens.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:32 PM on Jan. 24, 2011