Spin off-

What kinds of ramifications do children face in every day situations based on their parent's religious views and how they are taught to view other religions?

Does teaching a child that other religions are "wrong" in any way handicap them psychologically and emotionally, or socially?

At what age/developmental stage do you think that kids are able to process different belief systems?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 7:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Religious Debate

• My daughter is harassed, bullied, and has been physically assaulted more times than I can count- simply because we do not go to church.
    Seems most, if not all of the children in her school have been sent to militant witnessing camps, and told that anyone who does not believe what they do is wrong, and it therefore becomes their right not only to inform them of that "fact" using whatever means they deem in their 10 year old minds 'necessary'. Which includes, but is not limited to pinning a child down while they throw "holy water" in their faces and cast out demons, calling them names and screaming that they will burn in hell (using descriptives like "your breasts, and hair, and teeth will burn off"), to physical acts of violence in the name of their god.
    All because they were instructed that theirs was the only correct path.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:07 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Does teaching a child that other religions are "wrong" in any way handicap them psychologically and emotionally, or socially?
    Yes, not in all cases but it can definitely lead to agression against others, harassing, etc and they might not know why they get in trouble for these things in say a public school setting. This can also lead to failure to connect with their peers because they do not understand why people believe differently etc.(Just for example)

At what age/developmental stage do you think that kids are able to process different belief systems? It depends on the individual child. Some are able to process cognitive differences in beliefs at a younger age (say 7) while others may not be able to process it until they are older (like 12). Parents approaching the topic with their children in an unbiased manner also contributes to how much a child can process regarding different religions and how early.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:07 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Obby, I want to vote you up for sharing that... but it's the equivalent to "liking" it...and I don't like that. So I'll just say thanks for sharing.

That's my very point, though. Kids lack the filters to be able to judge what an appropriate time/method to be sharing religion is. They don't need parents adding fuel to the fire. Harping on the "wrongs" of other religions doesn't prove yours to be right.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 8:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Exactly Lovin....and it can be detrimental to the child as well because they dont' have the cognitive ability to recognize how they might be isolating themselves(or becoming bullies etc.) whether emotionally, socially, or psychologically. Which can lead to serious problems down the road.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:20 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Oh and I haven't even hit the detrimental effects it can have on a child if they were taught "this religion is right all others are wrong" all their lives and are having a crisis of faith when they hit say their pre-teen/teen years. It's hard enough at that age with hormones and peers etc. If they lack compassion for other people's beleifs etc. If they ever hit a low point they'll have no compassion for themselves..which could have seriously negative results.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:25 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• That's my very point, though. Kids lack the filters to be able to judge what an appropriate time/method to be sharing religion is. They don't need parents adding fuel to the fire. Harping on the "wrongs" of other religions doesn't prove yours to be right.

-------------------

I've got so much more to say on the topic, and I likely will. Right now I am coming off of some meds that were prescribed for nerve pain, and I can't even form a coherent thought.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:47 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Younger kids see wrong as bad. It gives them an excuse to treat the "others" as less some will even treat the "others" worse than an animal. If you ask around a lot of parents here have horrible stories that happened to them or their kids because they where the other a lot of them have to do with religion.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I haven't seen evidence of that age yet in DS's friends, so wherever it is, it comes much later than 2nd grade. I know the entire subject has been forced upon us against our will, simply because others feel that their beliefs are so much more important than anyone else's, that they indoctrinate their kids from birth with no concept of how to relate to other people of different religions when Mommy and Daddy aren't around. The sum total of DS's religious education has been attempting to deprogram what he picks up from classmates without explaining it in a way that will lead him to call those precious little snowflakes "wrong" (like they do to him when they figure out he's not a Christian).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:12 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• "That's my very point, though. Kids lack the filters to be able to judge what an appropriate time/method to be sharing religion is. "

So do some parents unfortunately, need to stress 'some'.
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 9:26 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• This is why children need to be taught the gospel of Love.... instead of the gospel of religion. The youth and children in my church are taught to treat others with love and not hatred.
    Obbydobbie... it is obvious to me those children hurting your child are being taught religion which is bondage and not love.
    We have a youth.. he is actually the youth pastor's son.. everyone loves him at his high school... they call him Jesus lol not in a mocking way but in a way that they recognize that Jesus lives in him. He does not push his faith but shares in love when appropriate. He is an amazing kid with an amazing walk as a pastors kid... a rare find ! I owe it all to his mom and dad who are friends of mine ! It really boils down to examples and how you talk with your children and love them.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:00 PM on Jan. 24, 2011