Do you let the kids pick the first pet?

The kids finally get to have a pet. You know you'll be the back up when the kids "forget." Do you pick the pet that would be easier for YOU? Do you pick the type that you'd be comfortable with?

Example: Kids want a dog...so you pick size, breed, and let them name it? Or if they want a dog, they pick size, breed, name...

Imortlmommy

Asked by Imortlmommy at 8:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Pets

• I had a pet bunny going into it and we still do. When she has spent here time here and we are in need of a new pet I'm sure my husband will instill an idea in the kids that we need a dog.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 8:28 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• It is so easy to sit here and say, if they pick the pet its there responsibility. But its so true that there are going to be times when its all on you. Dog gets sick everywhere, all on you, Dog needs to go out to go potty and its 20 degrees out, all on you. Just make sure whatever you decide you go in knowing its a family pet. Good luck
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 8:29 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• My kids would probably love to have a cat or dog, but no way do I want that in my house. We bought a betta fish for my son's first pet, and then a couple of years later, we adopted a desert tortoise.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:32 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• First you need to be clear that you'll be doing the majority of taking care of the pet, please don't kid yourself.
    I promised I'd get my daughter a dog when she was 7. I knew full well she'd take the first dog she was offered, so I made sure that the one she was offered was the one I wanted. She was a great doggy :) The dog already had a name, Megan, and I asked my daughter if she wanted to change it but she said no.
    How old are your kids?
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 8:44 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Kids are 8, 7, 4, and 21 months. We aren't allowed to fence our backyard b/c of a generator...but it's still up for discussion with hubby and I if we are really going to follow through or wait till we get to a better place that could get fenced. The kids keep admiring big dogs and I'm hesitant.
    Imortlmommy

Comment by Imortlmommy (original poster) at 8:50 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I pick, especially if it is a dog. The pet needs to fit the family.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:17 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• My kids are adults now, but when they were kids they could bring home any animal they wanted. we even have an alligator. my son had snakes, lizards, tarantula's, ferrets , chinchilla, dogs and cats. my daughter's had birds, cats, fish whatever. i brought home more than they did. i have a lot of older dogs i rescued. they deserve to live too. i live in the country of course. we have horses, turkeys and so on.
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 9:55 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• You could instal an invisible fence. Your dog wears a collar and cannot cross the fence border. The only problem is that other animals not wearing the collar can. http://www.invisiblefence.com/index.asp
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• The woof woofs are my babies, but DD was being a really good girl and we thought we would surprise her with a pet. We both understood that WE (me) would be taking care of them though. She told me she either wanted a lobster or a rat, and to be perfectly honest, I would have eaten the lobster. So now we have 3 rats, lol. I told her she was in charge of feeding them, and she has been great about it. She is 4 btw.
    BansheeQueen

Answer by BansheeQueen at 6:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2011