What is considered "Dressy?"

Invited to a birthday party. Requirement is no jeans. I have tights and a shirt that looks like it could be a dress...and ballet slipper shoes. I'm not sure if formal is what they are looking for. When I asked...they keep pushing dressy. I've got old prom dresses from years ago I can attempt to squeeze into, but I'd rather not. Otherwise, I need to know what "dressy" is to shop for.

Any ideas of what dressy could mean?

Oh, and they said for hubby to dress...nice collar shirt, slacks, and tie...and he's allowed to wear his converse (he's pulling the Chuck Bartowski from the TV show Chuck).

Imortlmommy

Asked by Imortlmommy at 8:28 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• It sounds like they want you to wear something u would wear something that looks like what you would wear on a dinner date with your husband....What would you wear if he met u for dinner at a restaurant where he must have on a shirt and tie? Ask your husband what he thinks. Check out the What-not-to-wear website, see what they say
    graceslove

Answer by graceslove at 12:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Think business casual such as dress slacks, skirt, fancy shirt or even cocktail attire (depending on the age of the birthday boy or girl).
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 8:34 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Dressy no jeans..think going to church.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:50 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• It means different thinks to different people. I think your outfit sounds fine, if you wear something you''re not comfortable in you wont have a good time.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 8:35 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Dressy..generally means a knee length dress or a nice pant suit. A nice skirt and blouse would work too. Nothing too blingy..and nothing to short or revealing.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:43 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• you cant ask the hostess? Ask what shes looking for as dressy goes. To me dressy would be like Sundays best or how you would dress to an interview. It sounds more formal if they want your Husband in a tie. Go for a simple sheath black dress and slingback pumps. CANT go wrong with that dress, its a classic!
    goodfriendeva

Answer by goodfriendeva at 8:43 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I asked the hostess on what she meant by dressy. I gave her examples. I asked if she meant formal...her response was "Dressy, no jeans."
    Imortlmommy

Comment by Imortlmommy (original poster) at 8:48 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• well theres different kinds of dressy to different kinds of people....i think black dress pants and a nice blouse would look fine , jazz it with some jewelry and make sure your hair is done , not sure of your hair length but some loose curls would look nice , and heels would top it off( if ur comfortable and dont have to carry any babies or run after kids) flats will do just fine as long as they look the part. Makeup wouldnt hurt either ...
    MsBrazil86

Answer by MsBrazil86 at 7:02 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Today its so hard because we all have different ideas about it. To my husband 'dressy' means no sweat pants!. I think what you have in mind sounds good. I think the hostess is just trying to avoid jeans and sweats and tee shirts.
    chris219

Answer by chris219 at 9:54 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I have really nice pant suits I wear to things like that.
    AmI88

Answer by AmI88 at 8:24 PM on Jan. 25, 2011