do you think it is bad parenting to drink in the presence of your kids ?

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 8:32 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• no, i think kids need to see adults drink in moderation. im not a daily drinker but at parties and special occasions i drank in front of my kids. they need to know its not a big deal if its in moderation. if you hide your drinking they will know and lose respect for you for hiding from them.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 8:36 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Honestly, I think it really depends. If it is a drink with dinner, I think that's fine, but if you are going to get trashed in front of your children, then yes, I think that is bad parenting.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:34 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Drunk, yes,, a cocktail or 2 no, I think it is important to show kids, that drinking is not a big deal or something to make a DEAL of!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:38 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• if they get drunk, that's bad. Teaching them responsible drinking may not be a bad thing. My family doesn't drink but if we did I'd want them doing it responsibly.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:34 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Having a wine cooler once in a while I dont think is horrible, but getting falling over drunk on shots while your child is playing in the same room...yeah I would define thay as bad.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 8:34 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• What I find interesting about this question is that during red ribbon week my children where told that alcohol is a drug. So, its confusing for them to hear that from school and then to come home and see mom and dad open up a bottle of wine. Im single and I dont drink at all, but I remember that when my kids where little and trying to explain that to them, very confusing for them
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 8:37 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• No it's not bad parenting to drink in front of your kids. Alcohol is a part of life, some use it just fine, others don't. I don't agree with being sloshed, but to each his own. I'm not going to shelter my child from alcohol. It's legal, they will run into it anyway in life, and I actually prefer to make them aware of it. I'm not saying I make my kids margaritas and party down, so don't go there! Eating too much and getting obese could be considered bad parenting as well.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a beer or two while watching a football game, having a cocktail after work, maybe a glass of wine with dinner. I am over 21, and it is legal for me to have a drink. Hiding it, or acting like it's something to be ashamed of is silly. It certainly doesn't make someone a bad parent.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Is this in public, home or just in general?
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 8:34 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Getting falling down drunk is bad, having a wine with dinner is fine. IMO.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 8:36 PM on Jan. 24, 2011