Therapy for cumpulsive lying. Does it work?

Somebody in my life is a compulsive liar. They lie before they're even sure what they're lying about. It can be about big things or small things. They realize I am about to not be a part of their life anymore and have said they will seek therapy. Will this work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Health

• ive never heard of therapy being successful. its a moral flaw not an addiction. not curable.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 8:38 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• i don't think therapy changes a person. i think someone needs to make the decision that they want to change. therapy is more or less a guidance tool. imo.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 9:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• It's a compulsive reaction. Once you have done something for so long it is SO hard to fix it. I have OCD, I have been trying to stop with therapy, it is so hard because once I break one habit another one fills it's place. Good luck!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 5:50 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Once a liar always a liar
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:40 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I have to agree with mommy of two, I don't think there's any cure for it. My sister is major liar and even when I call her out on lies she'll lie to try to get out of being caught in a lie and it's just a vicious cycle.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:03 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• He's jeaulous try jeaulosy.com they have good advises and tips.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 9:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Are they REALLY interested in changing or just manipulating you so that you don't leave their life? THAT will make more difference than anything, I'd think.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 8:02 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• That, JZ, obviously is the question. That was the gist of what I told them last night. I said they were just regurgitating what I had told them about our situation and they were just saying what I wanted to hear so I wouldn't leave.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:55 AM on Jan. 25, 2011