Breastfeeding and having an alcoholic beverage?

Just curious what the rules are with breastfeeding and drinking....I know that if I plan to go out for the evening and lots of drinks it is best to pump and dump. If I remember right you can have a drink or two and your body will metabolize it? How many drinks are okay to have and how much time should you wait in between? What is a safe amount to drink then still be able to nurse you baby afterward? Any help would be great.....Thanks :) How long did you wait to have a drink after having baby?

nat1387

Asked by nat1387 at 8:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it is one drink an hour and wait two hours after your last drink before you nurse. Look it up on google or something. If you are getting drunk then just pump and dump :)
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:47 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• No amount is safe to drink then breastfeed. I read that every drink you have you have to pump and dump for a hour. So if you have 3 drinks then bump and dump for 3 hours. If I drank, I would just give it up until I was finished breast feeding. Its not worth taking a chance.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:47 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• The basic rule of thumb is if you're sober enough to drive, you're sober enough to nurse.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html has some good info regarding drinking and nursing.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 8:52 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Well there ya go...You are never sober enough to drive unless you don't drink. imho

Anonymous

• I say if ypur breastfeeding you're better off not drinking or pump before you go drinking. That way you don't have to worry about alcohol being in the breastmilk. Personally I won't drink until after I'm done breastfeeding. They do have test kits to make sure you don't have any alcohol inyour breastmilk.
    MicaMommy2Be

Answer by MicaMommy2Be at 9:06 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I would never do it.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 9:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• You NEVER need to pump unless you're doing so because you are missing a feeding and need to keep up supply. 1-2 drinks, safe to nurse, more then that wait 2-3 hrs per drink before nursing again.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:33 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Well, there you go, you got answers all over the place on this one. I breastfeed and I will drink 1-2 drinks and not think anything of it. I don't do this every day or even weekly, but rather occasionally. So, pick the answer you like best and do that. LOL
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Pumping and dumping does not remove the "alcoholic milk". The alcohol has to work itself out of your body on its own. Our boobs have a constantly refreshing supply, not pockets of stored milk so until the alcohol metabolizes out, it will be in the milk. It's ok to have one or two drinks, but if you are feeling even a little of an effect, you have to wait to BF. Pump enough for a bottle or two if you plan on having more than a couple.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:36 AM on Jan. 25, 2011