free rent

Is it ok to let your adult daughter and her two kids live home rent free and i babysit for her everyday and i buy the grocies and my husband pays all the bills

sweetie44

Asked by sweetie44 at 8:46 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• Heck no! She needs to be responsible and pay as much as she can. I would never kick the kids out but if she wasn't helping I would kick her out! If you on the other hand want to do this for her then it is ok, it is your choice.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:49 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• No she should be responsible for helping with bills and the food. It isnt fair that you babysit and your hubby pays all the bills and she does nothing. I would expect and demand she help.
    ready4baby2011

Answer by ready4baby2011 at 9:06 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Depends, what is the situation as to why she is there? Is she working, which is why you are babysitting? She should at the very least be helping with food and bills. I am 32 and just htis weekend moved into my parents with my 2 babies, until I find a home. But it's situational....and my parents are living at my grandpa's caring for him. I take care of my kids and buy the groceries and everything just the same as I had before.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• no,,becouse what is she going to learn from that?..hey i can live at home forever,mom and dad will do this or that..when my mom was still around and my brother turned 18 and had a job,,she made him pay the trash bill..it was like 25 dollars a month....there has to be a limit forur daughter or she will never do things on her own again..called tough love..
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:26 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• my parents didnt let me live rent free, but it was me, DH, my son and then his brother for a little while (they have a mother in law unit).

i think it would depend on the situation, but for me i would at least feel the need to pay a bill or two
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 9:39 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• It would not be ok for me; only you can decide if it is ok for you.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• No. Not only should she be paying rent, she should be contributing to the groceries, cooking, cleaning, etc.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Yikes. Sounds like she has it pretty good. I guess it depends on her situation. Is she getting back on her feet? Me and my DS live with my parents but I buy groceries, help with bills, cook, and help clean around the house. I wouldn't want to live with my parents without contributing something.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 2:59 AM on Jan. 25, 2011