Am I?

My husband is my daughters daddy (not bio but she looks at him like she is her daddy) and when we first got together his parents and family were ALLLLL about her... but 2 years later.. its funny how when its time for her birthday his mom says oh im working that day (UMM ITS THE SAME DAY EVERY YEAR???) and she doesnt even say oh i will try to work it out so i will be there.. no interest in it at all and keeps on playing with our son (my and my hubby) so i am pissed.. am i over reacting >? because she will switch days for our baby shower and other trivial events but doesnt even show interest in being at her bday party... and then my husband turns it around on me.. i am soooo freakin sick of him being stuck on his damn mama

Ross2010

Asked by Ross2010 at 8:47 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• Oh this is a tough one!  It does sound to me like she is favoring your boy over your girl.  She might not even realize that she is doing it.  Maybe talking to her?  How does he turn it around and make it your fault?  It might not actually even be anyones fault, she might not even know she's doing this.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• you know what. Don't sweat it. You will never be able to change her and she is jipping herself out of a relationship with her granddaughter. Continue to invite her but don't go out of your way to rearrange things to fit her schedule or try to force a relationship that isn't there. If you do, it will only emphasis what is missing and your DD is the one who will be hurt.

I would take a "Her Loss" attitude and try and let it go
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 9:09 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• i have a mother in law like that..lol..excepet the grandma hubbys mom favors his 18yr old son over our 2 yr old..try to get it through to ur hubbys mind and have him deal with his mom..
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• It's a little kid's birthday party not her wedding. Have it when people can make it or invite kids not adults.
    Anonymous

• favoritism i hate it.. lucky for me i don't have to deal with that with my son and know it wont happen with our second either... you should talk to you mil if you feel that way... and tell you husband to hear you out instead of jumping to one side and that he should always be on your side no matter what.... he married you.

Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 11:50 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I agree with Lynasae Talk with her and talk with your husband. It is hard when you battle the mother because they are trapped they do not know how to pick a side. We know they should pick our sides but they also feel loyal to the mother. Have a sitdown with that mother or you will loose your mind!
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 1:11 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• In our situation my MIL favored the baby. She was close to my eldest until his developmental issues became prevalent. Then when I had the baby she would try to make up reasons to just get the baby (which I didn't allow) and she'd show up at therapies and see the baby in the waiting room and leave right before my eldest came out (we have a new schedule and no one know when we're thwre). She's since broken ties with us, so it's not an issue now. I wish people could see how hurtful doing this is. I don't know how old your dd is, she may not realize the slights now, but eventually she will and she will resent it. Maybe talking to the grandmother would help her see what she's doing.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 3:20 PM on Jan. 25, 2011