How early is it too early to feed a baby rice cereal?

cutieitalian829

Asked by cutieitalian829 at 2:59 AM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If breastfed, six months is the minimum. The infant gut is still open and any earlier risks inducing allergies.

If formula fed, four months.

The difference is because formula has already changed the intestinal tract.

And honestly, getting right down to it? Rice cereal is junk. Try mashed banana instead.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:03 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• i gave it to my son at 2 months cause the formula wasnt filling him up at all so the dr said put a little in the formulka but that is only cause my dr said it was ok
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 3:08 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• honestly 4months for formula feed and 6months for breastfeed.i feed started to feed my kids at 1 month old as they were and still are hungary babys.i feed them homemade potato and punkin mash before there bottle,it hasnt affected them.and as for an honest answer rice cereal is and tastes horrible
    cruizymum

Answer by cruizymum at 3:22 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• My pediatrician told me to mix rice cereal in with my sons formula at about 2mos, because formula was not enough to fill him up. He told me that rice was close to being the only food that wont cause allergies early on in children. you have to becareful how much rice you give to your baby because it can cause constipation, my pediatrician also recommended that every other day i put a tsp of pear juice in his rice/formula bottles so that it would keep his bowels running smoothly. My son is 5mos old and I now feed him gerber baby food mixed in Rice cereal and he is doing just fine
    babymommasdrama

Answer by babymommasdrama at 3:34 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• i gave my baby it a 3 months and in my moms time at 2 months, they say 6 months but your the mommy its really up to you. i knew my baby was ready because for 1 she always wanted a bottle and 2 she opened her mouth for the spoon after a few times
    MYA_MARIES_MOM

Answer by MYA_MARIES_MOM at 10:19 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• We skipped cereal. It doesnt have nutritional value, and it is for "training purposes". We went right to stage one baby foods. I dont think that you should start any solids before 6 months, but some say 4... Most babies tummies arent ready at 4 in my opinion.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 6:48 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I started giving it to my son around 1 month becuz he had a massive spit up problem. However..now at 6 months we believe hes either A. become allegric (which the pedi thinks is unlikely) or B. he just cnat handle it anymore..idk..but like i said..we did it to thicken up his bottles so he can hold his food down..now we just use oatmeal..but hes also at stage 2 baby food..you probaly should just go with what you believe is right for you baby, no two babies are alike..they say 6 for juice..Noah had it at 4 months..so idk..I know how i've been feeding him is whats best for him..no matter what the doc may say :) lol
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 1:14 AM on Nov. 15, 2008