do people even know???

Do people even know, what happens to kids that become wards of the state?? I mean the ones that dont get adopted out..

Youth in Transition:
Each year, an estimated 20,000 young people "age out" of the U.S. foster care system. Many are only 18 years old and still need support and services. Several foster care alumni studies show that without a lifelong connection to a caring adult, these older youth are often left vulnerable to a host of adverse situations:
Outcomes during transition from care to adulthood National data

Regional or Local data
Earned a high school diploma 54% 50% - 63%
Obtained a Bachelor's degree or higher 2% 2%
Became a parent 84% 42%
Were unemployed 51% 30%
Had no health insurance 30% 29%
Had been homeless 25% 36%
Were receiving public assistance 30% 26%

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 8:53 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• The system sucks. My MIL has been a foster parent since around the time I started dating hubby (10 yrs-ish) and she has some AWFUL stories. You are right about the CPS being abused I think. I think they do a lot of good sometimes, but there are a lot of horrible people that call just to be vindictive and then kids that get returned to abusive families. For what it's worth, you have my sympathy.
    BansheeQueen

Answer by BansheeQueen at 5:06 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I am sorry for what happened to you but no, it would NOT stop me from calling CPS and/or the police if I felt like a child was being abused. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• There is a country star who was in the system and is trying to raise awareness to this issue. His name is Jimmy Wayne. Here is a link to what he did to help raise awareness.

http://meetmehalfway.jimmywayne.com/index.cfm?id=3

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I was a ward of the state and I aged out and I have a GED, a Diploma for Massage Therapy, a License in Massage Therapy, I am happily married, I also have 2 children and 1 on the way. Not all of the children that age out of foster care are doomed. If I can do it they all can.
    ready4baby2011

Answer by ready4baby2011 at 9:33 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• This shows that those ageing out of the system do not have a good future, so why are so many people CPS gun hoe?? and before people bash i have been in the system and then dumped back in to the same home i was taken from and nothing changed the abuse was still the same and worse.
    mrssundin

Comment by mrssundin (original poster) at 8:54 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Sorry to hear that.
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 8:56 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• What can we do?
    Is there a program to connect with these kids?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Here is the first page to that link

http://meetmehalfway.jimmywayne.com/

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• my best friend was aged out of the sytem, he is currently in the army in virginia as an honor guard, he should be making sargent about this time next year and he's 23. and his mother who he was taken from has turned her life around also and has a good relationship with him.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 10:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• read for baby not every one is like you, that is something you have to realize, and i am not going to call CPS for someone calling there kid dumb or something lame. Real abuse is one thing but you have people calling over spilled milk. And then the kids leave a loving home because there was a mistake and someone that abuse was going on. And i think that they need to evaluate the kids who already live in their home their own children.
    mrssundin

Comment by mrssundin (original poster) at 9:47 AM on Jan. 25, 2011