relactating??

my son just turned 5months old, and i havent been breastfeeding for about 3months now, and i was wondering if it is possible to regain my breastmilk supply so that i can once again breastfeed my son?

babymommasdrama

Asked by babymommasdrama at 3:06 AM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Unless you had a double mastectomy, YES. It's possible.

Kellymom.com has a ton of great info.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:10 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Yes you can. First thing to do is try to get baby to accept the breast. Suckling will encourage milk supply. Get a good electric pump. Pump at least every 2 hrs, for say, 15 mins each breast. Even if nothing comes out, it is stimulating the breast. Eat oatmeal daily. Get some mother's milk tea. You might try taking Fenugreek. Keep trying, and keep asking questions. You might want to join a breastfeeding group.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:17 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• It is possible!! PUMP PUMP PUMP! and try to encourage your baby to nurse! My baby is 10 months old and I haven't nursed since she was 7 months and I've just recently started relactating. I'm on week three of pumping every 3 hours for 15 to 20 mins and getting 1/4 of an ounce from each breast each time! I've ordered domperidone and taking that four times a day. You might not need medication to help boost your supply but I do. So, best of luck and keep in touch and let me know your success! I admire your determination!! Great job!!
    Momof2n2

Answer by Momof2n2 at 1:40 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• im on the train with you and all of the other relactating mommies in here. I dryed up after 2 months and well i thoght when it was gone it was gone when i ran acrose a story on the internet about a mom that had relactated i told my hubby im going to do it. well it has been a month scens my son was last breastfeed. and im day 2 in to relactating. Im going to be righting a blog over the jurnay and how im doing it and all the websites with help. i looked on cafe mom for a group for RELACTATING but found nothing maybe one of you mommies will decide to open one up. Be sure to let me know ill be there. I just dont have the time to open and mantine one. I have posted in 2 breastfeeding groups with no answers so i think it is hard to get support in any breastfeeding group when it comes to relactating because it seems that they dont understand the real strugle and time that we put into relactating.
    pooh_williams

Answer by pooh_williams at 8:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2008