Has anyone gotten a false negative HPT long after your period was due?

Yes, I know nobody can tell me if I'm pregnant...but has ANYONE been REALLY late before getting a BFP? How often should I test? The hpt's are getting pricey so I finally ordered 12 strips from online for a few bucks...but sheesh.

Right now I am 19 days late. I have taken many tests. Before someone asks, my doctor doesn't want to do a blood test yet until I am a month late since occasionally you can miss a period for no good reason. Normally, I would accept that as face value...and I did. I was thoroughly convinced I was not pregnant...

Well, then I started waking up in the morning thinking "Wow, I feel like I haven't even slept...it must be early" only to see that DH let me sleep til noon. I don't sleep til noon! How did that happen?

A few days later I was working and suddenly my boobs were just throbbing. Not like the obsessive "Oh, did that hurt? Was that more sensitive than usual" all in your head BS... like they REALLY hurt. Whether I was thinking about it or not. "Okay..." I thought. "AF is probably coming...that's why my boobs hurt...just a coincidence."

Two days after THAT I woke up wanting to puke. Again, not like when you ask yourself if you feel nauseated which causes you to feel slightly nauseated...this was pretty blah. I had to stay in bed for a couple extra hours and then I got up and forced food down my throat and felt better until that evening when it happened again. Now I just have off and on periods of nausea and then I'm fine.

Backed up plumbing? Check. Heartburn? Check. Getting pissed off for no reason (typical of pregnant me) check! Then today, I wake up feeling like it was literally 200 degrees in the house even though it was no hotter than usual...I had to stand outside in the nearly freezing temperatures to cool off.

For now, I've just been told to pretend I'm pregnant until something happens. If I'm not pregnant, then I'm really worried about what is going on with me. My doctor doesn't seem concerned and is just all "wait and see." All tests have been negative so far. One friend tells me your hpt can be off by WEEKS sometimes...another says I would have gotten a bfp by now.

And if it would never in a million years show up THIS late, does anyone have any idea what would cause all these symptoms aside from a bun in the oven?

Seriously, every time I get calmed down and just decide to wait for AF because I'll be convinced she's coming... some new and exciting symptom shows up and confuses me all over again. I've done the "all in your head" symptoms thing...but this ain't it. I didn't even WANT to be pregnant. At this point, I don't care one way or another... I just wanna be done with this!

Ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had to get a blood test to confirm m pregnancy with my first son. Every box test I took was negative. I got worried and went to the emergency room because of all the weird symptoms I was having and they told me there after the blood test and an ultrasound said I was 8 weeks. I know everyone is different but I hope that helps. Maybe you should tell our doctor that you desire a blood test instead of waiting til he/she is ready. It is your body, not theirs.
    Hotmama_5

Answer by Hotmama_5 at 9:18 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Part of me wants to...and the other part who is cheap says if he's not worried why should I be? Since it would be over a hundred bucks to have a visit and a test...and then knowing my luck I'd go home and AF would arrive. I'm just wondering if I should even bother to keep testing or just assume I'm not and go have a martini. lol. Kidding.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:21 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Go to a crisis pregnancy clinic and have a blood hcg done there.
    6girlsrock

Answer by 6girlsrock at 9:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• blood tests are the only tests for me. I don't know why but it is like this for some people. Sometimes I will get a faint line like evaporation line but never a full out positive. My dr cannot even explain it but upon researching many women are like this, some as far as not having a pregnancy confirmed until requesting an ultrasound due to pain and them seeing a definite baby.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 9:29 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• You can do that? LOL. Would I be taking away from a girl who is actually "In crisis" though? I'm not in crisis per se...I'm just very impatient and my doctor is so nonchalant. If they don't care though, I'll go right on over! lol.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:29 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• @Crystal... can it be that way just randomly even if I've had none of these issues with my other pregnancies? My first two showed up on a hpt just fine. I don't KNOW I'm pregnant now, obviously, but could that happen on a third pregnancy or is it more of a some women have that happen rather than some pregnancies. I have seen a few of what looked like VERY faint lines within the time limit...but I assumed they were the test strip underneath.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:31 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I really don't know if its every pregnancy or a particular woman is just like that. Faint lines can sometimes be positive. I know what you mean by dr's acting like they could care less, very frustrating. I would just go in for a blood test if possible.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 10:48 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• why over 100 bucks? do you have insurance if not go to a health/pregnancy clinic they sometimes just take word for it that you cannot afford to pay, they get public funding.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 10:49 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Yes! I got the stupid evaporation line too. They aren't as easy to read as they would have you think, especially if you have been really trying to get pregnant. Keep trying! BTW, dollar store tests work pretty good too.. and they are only a buck apiece. :)
    BansheeQueen

Answer by BansheeQueen at 11:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Well, they "appeared" too fast for an evap line...but I think it was the strip underneath... and I'm in no way TRYING to get pregnant. LOL. If I am fine, if I'm not fine... I'm really beyond caring at this point if I could just know.

Oh, and no insurance. We pay out of pocket. I could afford to go, but it seems like a waste of money if my doctor doesn't even wanna do it yet... I would be due to start AGAIN next week... so if I don't, I will test again at home...and if nothing still... I'll make appt and suck it up and pay.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:27 AM on Jan. 25, 2011