Weaning off formula issues.

I am considering slowly weaning my DD off of formula...but I do not know how to go about it. She can't have whole fat cow's milk because she has an issue with the level of milk proteins. I can't drink it myself but I can drink 1% or skim in small amounts, maybe 18oz before I get sick. I have read alot about using stuff like coconut milk or goat's milk but I honestly can afford such pricey routes. Does anyone have and suggestions of something that will help her get the fats she needs without breaking my bank?

Momma2Miranda

Asked by Momma2Miranda at 9:30 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• In your case if you don't want to use goats milk (which yes is expensive but cheaper than all that formula and what im about to suggest) wait until he/she is 1 and put them on the toddler formula. Also your doctor may be able to give you a prescription that your insurance would cover.
    sweetiepie8540

Answer by sweetiepie8540 at 9:35 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• The only problem I have with toddler "formula" is that she can't stay on it forever and I need something that she can do long term.
    Momma2Miranda

Comment by Momma2Miranda (original poster) at 9:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Use soy milk and make sure she gets enough calcium and vitamin D in the actual foods she eats.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 10:22 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• She eats a ton of veggies, fruits, beans, lean meats, eggs, and fish. So I think her diet is pretty well balanced. So I am not concerned about her calcium or vit D. I am concerned about her fats.
    Momma2Miranda

Comment by Momma2Miranda (original poster) at 10:25 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• two of my daughters have severe milk allergies. They could not drink milk or soy milk and they would not drink the elacare. The GI dr told me that it was find that they would get enough vitamin d and calcium from other foods in their diets. We do take an extra 400IUs of vitamin d a day. You can just give her two chewy gummy vitamins a day and that will be fine. We just went off of formula cold turkey and they have all done fine. Good luck.
    ablm

Answer by ablm at 12:55 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Avocado is high in good fats, there are plenty of FOODS you can add to her diet to make sure she's getting the good fats she needs without ever using cow's milk or a cow's milk substitute. Ask the pedi for a referral to a nutritionist for ideas and getting started. I like almond milk as a milk substitute, and I believe it is high in good fats.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:17 AM on Jan. 25, 2011