if you had a very hospitalized birth previously, what is the #1 thing you'll do dif. next time? adult content

mine is refusing most tests (even if there's abnormalities or down syndrome I'll still carry to term) and ESPECIALLY refuse the nasty ass orange glucose drink. I know there's other ways to check rather than choke that slurry down

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 10:20 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Kids' Health

• See a different OB. Mine missed alot of the warning signs. They also didn't do a third trimester ultra sound that would of helped.
    mkula

Answer by mkula at 5:31 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• Not get induced unless it's absolutely necessary.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 10:21 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I went to a midwife and had a homebirth.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 10:21 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I'd still go to the hospital. I had a high-risk pregnancy and birth and I am beyond thankful for the amazing OB's that handled my son's birth and the amazing nurses in the NICU. I wouldn't have done it any other way.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 10:27 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• forgoing the glucose test is NOT wise. That is the best and safest way to test for gestiation diabetes. I had 2 pregnancies and 2 births. My first child I saw the same OB throughout it all, and he delivered my son. My second pregnancy was different because I had to see military midwives and NP's, at the time only women that had high risk pregnancies saw OB's, so I didn't meet the doc that delivered my daughter till the day I delivered. But it was my second pregnancy so I didn't really care lol. I was able to get an epidural with both kids so that was nice. I did have a private room after I had my second child which was nice. I shared a room post partum with my son
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:27 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Make sure somebody stays in the room with me after I deliver. Son had problems and had to go to Neo unit and everybody left me in there alone. I ended up getting myself up and to the bathroom. It was a mess, horrible and I could hardly walk cause I was so weak. I cleaned myself up and went outside to find out where my son went.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:28 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Oh and having a home birth was something I would have NEVER considered. I wanted the hospital birth
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:29 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Midwives do order the glucose test, However with my midwife we discussed my options and the pros and cons of the test. I wasn't told I HAD to get it and the "dead baby" card wasn't used when I refused the test. I felt much more in control of my care with my midwife than when I had gone to an OB.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 10:33 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• You don't HAVE to get any test during pregnancy. But I think its very UNWISE to forgo some tests.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:36 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• IF I were to have another, I would be more active with interventions, like not letting them break my water "to get things moving" (even though I thought it was moving along just fine...). I'm pretty sure that, possibly combined with the myriad vaginal exams, was what caused my daughter's infection that left her in the NICU for antibiotics for 10 days.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2011