I have a nine year old and she ask me a question the other morning when she was getting ready for school she ask me what a condom was. How do I answer that my husband says to just ignore it but I do not want her to ask other people what should we do???

buppasmom

Asked by buppasmom at 4:34 AM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Do not ignore that!...Thats a very important question and she will get her answers from somewhere. Better it be from you. First I would ask where she heard it and what they were talking about. That way you can clear up any mis information she got. Then I would tell her the truth. If she doesn't know about sex, then I would use this as an opportunity to share the scientific logistics of it. NO emotion. Just the basic facts. She is plenty old enough to know the mechanics of it. Then just let her know that a condom is something that is used to prevent pregnancy and std's during sex. Explain to her how it works. We have got to stop being afraid to tell our kids the truth. Its not bad, its just part of life. Use your faith to help you in the talk if you need to.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:47 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I WOULD FIRST WONDER WHERE SHE LEARNED THAT FROM ? I HAVE A 9 YR OLD GIRL ALSO SHE WOULD NOT ASK THAT BUT I KNOW THEY HEAR IT FROM SCHOOL BUT SHE IS TO YOUNG I THINK TO TELL HER I WOULDN'T SAY ANYTHING ! TELL HER WHEN SHE IS 14 !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:38 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• i remember my lil sister asked me that and i told her it was a balloon lol;]
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:00 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Don't they learn sex ed at school around 4th grade or so? Why not tell her what a condom is? Why hide it, it's not like it's a bad thing. But let her know that sex is only something married people do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:34 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• i have a 11 yr old son who by that age knew alot of stuff from riding the bus listening to older kids talk
    Jamie231724

Answer by Jamie231724 at 8:03 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• To the mom who said 14....I hope that was a joke. I have a fourteen yr old daughter and they are VERY informed by 14 and some are even sexually active. It mortifies me but I can't bury my head in the sand. They talk non stop about sex, call each other whores, sluts, bitches, steal each others boyfriends, dress explicity with lots of boob showing. (Yes I have to monitor that) and its WAY too late by then. The schools eventually begin to step in at 6th grade here to give the chat. Take care of this mom....she needs you.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:50 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• She heard it at school with a LOT of other things. My daughter is only 7 and knows all about that stuff. She would come home from school and tell me what the children were teaching eachother. I think it's best that it comes from you instead of peers and media. That way you can add YOUR morals to the information.
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 12:08 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• tell her the truth if you avoid it then she won"t ask you or confide in you i no growing up sex was an open discussion some stuff we talked to our mom about i'm dreading having to answer them
    JULIE-LYN

Answer by JULIE-LYN at 12:10 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• it depends on how mature your daughter is ,over in england they do sex education from the age of about 9 and upwards ,obviousley she has heard the word before so you need to know where she has heard it from and what she thinks a condom is .
    loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Well if she is already aware of sex then I would just tell her the truth. i think that truth is important in this as it could end embarassingly with her asking this question to other people. But I suppose as said above it does depend on how mature your daughter is, but I would still believe that honesty is the best policy, being truthful now will build up her trust in you now, and will benefit later when there are more serious things she may want to confide in you about.
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 2:55 PM on Nov. 14, 2008