TB TEST?

I had a TB test done this morning around 10 am.. there is a red circle where the injection was given, it's very light pink/red is this a positive reaction? Its been that way since about 4 hours after it was given. What would happen , would I not be able to work at a hospital if It is positive? Ugh

Po0okiebear69

Asked by Po0okiebear69 at 10:38 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Health

• It's not unusual for a TB test to look like that for awhile. You really can't tell until much closer to when you have to go back and have them read it. Which is why you have to wait so long to have it read :-)

I wouldn't worry about it just yet - just leave the site alone, don't put any lotions or anything like that on it, and try not to stress about it :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:44 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• It is supposed to be a little red. Mine usually is noticeable until 3 days after. It is only a positive reaction if it is huge.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:47 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I have mono don't know if that has anything to do with it.. it's not raised but there's a quarter sized redness around the injection site.
    Po0okiebear69

Comment by Po0okiebear69 (original poster) at 10:56 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• They should have circled the area. Bc normally they say if it goes beyond the circle it's positive. At least thats how they did mine. And it will stay red for a little while. By the time you wake up, it will have probably gone down.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:09 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• If they think you have a positive reaction, they should repeat it on the other arm. If that one is positive, they might want you to start on some antibiotics specifically for TB exposure and have you get a chest x-ray, and after all of that you should be ok to work in the hospital. I had a positive TB exposure and was still able to work in a hospital around patients.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 11:46 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I'd recommend waiting until you know for sure if it is a false or true positive before you start to worry too much. Do you travel? My friend that did have TB got it when she traveled abroad.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 7:46 AM on Jan. 25, 2011