i have compassion for people who need help that are on welfare, but ...

do u think that people who are on welfare should give back to their community in one form or another? like clean up trash, clean up graffiti, plant trees,volunteer at nursing homes, homeless shelters, etc. i think that the welfare money comes from the fellow citizens in their state / community; so why can't the ones who are on welfare give back to the community ?? maybe if the ones on welfare were obliged to give back to their community that might deter the scammers who abuse the system..

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 10:39 PM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree, they should also have to take a mandatory drug test in order to stay on it. I also don't think that women that just want to be a SAHM and feel they're entitled to it should be able to be on it. If they're capable to work they should. It's a sore subject for me because I have family that abuses it, and there are so many hardworking people out there that are funding it just so they can scam the system.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Hmmm... I suppose that depends on what you mean by welfare. Do you mean food stamps, medicaid, cash assistance, or all three? I get food stamps and medicaid, but I work 45 hours per week between two jobs. I qualify because our income is still so low and we have a family of six. I really have no idea how in the hell I'd give any more back to the community. I work six days a week, and my dh works nearly that much though he's self-employed. I am grateful for the assistance because we were both unemployed for a time awhile ago, and things were tough and we didn't apply for assistance until all our money ran out. Now that we have that extra help, things are slowly improving. We won't qualify once dh hits the busy season, but I'm glad to have the help while we can get it. I do think if people don't work and have the time, then yes, they could give back. However, there are a lot of working poor out there on benefits.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:46 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• and what about the people who don't have time to do that?

I work 40 hours a week, go to school part time and am raising two boys on my own..I'm on public assistance and just dont have the time to go out and volunteer. Unless I want to give up the little time I get with my sons..then sure I could.

And to be honest..if you recieve TANF You have to be in some kinda work program or are currently working to even recieve it.

But this is just me
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 10:46 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I agree. They should give back. Volenteer in the community that helps support them. I also believe it is a system to help you get on your feet and it should have a limited time or use.
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 10:43 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Very Good! I like that Idea!
    1911

Answer by 1911 at 10:41 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I see what you're getting at, gwen...but most people on welfare are busy working their asses off to try to make ends meet. They wouldn't be able to spare the time to volunteer. I know there are those who abuse the welfare system, and for them...yes, I think they should do community service until they earn the equivalent of what they stole from the tax payer.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 10:56 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Not everyone on PA would be able to do that.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:43 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I'm sure it's not a bad idea for people who have never worked and just make it a lifestyle, but I've been paying into the system since I was 16 and got my first job and if I have to utilize public assistance for a few months to get back on my feet (should something ever happen), I don't feel I should have to volunteer because I ran into a rough patch.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 10:56 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• "i think that if it is proven a single mom is going to school, raising kids, working part time etc; she still needs to do volunteer work. it does not have to be right away but it could be arranged for a year later or whenever her schedule is less hectic. when someone is on public assistance they are not entitled to the money it is a favor."

You have GOT to be kidding me! My life will never again be "less hectic"... well maybe in 10 years when my youngest graduates from high school. I have worked since I was 14 years old, earlier than that if you count babysitting. I am now 41. I have a college degree, and I was dealt a lousy blow by being laid off. My husband had the same thing happen right about the same time. I've worked my ass off all my life and paid my dues. I still work my ass off now. I volunteer at the kids' schools on top of all I do, that's all I need to do right now or for the next ten years, IMO...
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:04 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Difficult question to answer in this economy. In order to police recipients, other than mandatory twice monthly drug testing, there would have to be an increase in monitors to assess the recipients situation and that would negate any cost savings. The best solution is to encourage job creation and entrepreneurship by lowering business and self-employment taxes. This would encourage the true job seeker and reveal the chronic slackers to the monitors.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 11:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2011